Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I put two frags in my tank last night: GSP & Xenia. I let them drip acclimate for about 3.5 hours. The GSP was completed closed up and stayed that way until today. The Xenia opened right up after I put her in the main tank.

Water test today:

PH 7.6
Nit, Nat, Amm, Phos = 0
Ca = 420ppm
KH = 8
Sg = 1.020

How do my parameters look (other than the Sg which I will rectify with a PWC)?

I added my protein skimmer yesterday as well. My clown fish is doing ok in the QT - I can't wait to put him in my tank! I'll take some pics later to show you!!

MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The PH is a bit low but with a higher SG say around 1.024 your PH will go up a bit too. Don't do it too fast though. I've had to correct my SG before and what I did was shut off my auto top off and allowed the water to evap a bit. I went from 1.020 to 1.023 in about 36 hours. When I topped off I matched the 1.023 to what the tank was and turned the auto top off back on. The next week I did the same thing and got my SG to 1.024 which is what I like to keep it at.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks - I appreciate the feed back - the lights have already gone off, so I will snap some pics tomorrow (I don't have moon lights yet...)
Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question - the Xenia I purchased was attached to a frag, and that frag was rubberbanded to a shell. I have to move some LR around to make room for my skimmer pump (which is giant!), so I haven't removed the frag from the shell yet. The Xenia seems to be attached to both the frag and the shell though.

So How do I remove the Xenia from the shell without damaging it? TIA

EDIT -

oooh, also, if I were to glue the frag in, what kind of glue do you use???

EDIT AGAIN --

Here's some pics for you!

this is Pedro!

Here's a full tank shot

Here's our Xenia

And the GSP

How often can you get a good pic of these Jelly's???

I have a magnifying glass that helps with this pic. I have also seen some tiny snails and tiny pods on the glass too!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just thought I would let you know that everything seems to be going well. The skimmer is slowly but surely pulling some skimate out (although not to the degree I anticipate when I remove the fluval 404). I would like to leave the 404 on there until my 125 is up (since it will already have cultured bacteria in it).

I am in the midst of a diatom bloom, so I don't have any pics. I added some snails to the mix (1 cerith, 3 Nasarrius, 2 turbos, 1 trochus), but mostly they seem nocturnal. They also don't seem to be going after the diatoms, so I need to address that myself. All the corals seem to be doing well. I hope to have some pics on later tonight. I will also post my water parameters. Is Seachem Reef Plus a good doser for my tank, or should it be avoided?

Ooh, no one answered me on the Xenia frag issue - can I just cut its stalk to remove it from the shell, or do I need to let it grow off of it??? TIA

I bought some super glue this weekend, so I will be glueing my frags in and would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nix the dosing, for the most part it's not needed. Keep up on frequent water changes and you won't need to dose a thing.

Super glue gel works great for attaching frags. If you cut the xenia, make sure you do it out of water and in as straight a cut as possible. Sorry if I missed this, but why do you want to remove it from the shell? If you want to move it to another rock you can just but a rock next to it and let it grow onto that.

Tank looks great. Why do you have a sponge filter in there?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Nix the dosing, for the most part it's not needed. Keep up on frequent water changes and you won't need to dose a thing.
Ok, thanks - I will take it back.

Quote:
If you cut the xenia, make sure you do it out of water and in as straight a cut as possible. Sorry if I missed this, but why do you want to remove it from the shell? If you want to move it to another rock you can just but a rock next to it and let it grow onto that.
Well, we want to glue the frag in that the Xenia is attached to. But the Xenia has a "foot" on both the rubble and the shell. I want to detach it from the shell, and then glue the rock in. I would then put the "foot" that was on the shell onto a rock and let it re-attach.

Quote:
Tank looks great. Why do you have a sponge filter in there?
For my next QT! - That way it is colonized with the "good" bacteria to instant cycle.

Thanks, by the way, for the help!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

Gotcha, so it's already on rock, you just want the shell gone, right? Try peeling it first, with either a razor blade of a credit card, again, make sure it's out of the water. When they get stressed the release a goo that can foul your water. It may pry off easily and then you can just glue it down and let it reattach. If it doesn't, make as clean a cut as possible with a blade. Don't worry about hurting the coral, it will bounce back in a few days.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

EDIT AGAIN!
Removed double post.

EDIT!!!

Here's some pics of my goodies!!!

My Xenia!

Here's a good shot of my GSP!

When I bought the frag of button polyps, this mushroom was attached to the bottom!!!

My new feather duster!

My Elegance!!! I got this guy for a steal since it wasn't the most "attractive" Elegance he had ever gotten - the opening on this guy is probably 5" long!

My button polyps!

Pedro!!!

One of my 2 Turbo Snails - I also have 3 Nassarius, 1 Cerith, 1 Astrea, and I think that I found a Peppermint Snail on my LR today...

I need to glue some of these frags in tomorrow since my turbo's are pretty clumsy (the one thought the button polyps frag was a nice chair for a while!). Actual, the button polyp frag is on the sand because one of them knocked it out of the LR. I just got some gel glue tonight, but the lights are out already, so I will be glueing tomorrow!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #60
AA Team Emeritus

Did you see my reply MSU? Seems your latest reply was a copy of your previous one. Hehe.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com