Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So on Friday we picked up some stuff for the tank - we got some phytoplex to keep the corals happy, as well as GarlicGuard and Saltwater Frozen Multi Pack to feed. For flake food, we have formula 1 (which my o. clown loves ).

We also made two other purchases - one, a peppermint shrimp, which I have acclimated and appears to be doing well (as well as a shrimp can "appear" to be - he has his full color again, but of course he hides under LR all day, and I don't have moonlighting yet...). I am pretty sure we have named him Jacque . My other purchase I am a little upset about.

I am not upset because I made the purchase, I am upset because I didn't research it beforehand. On top of that, the "name" on the tank at the LFS isn't a real name either. That name was confirmed by the owner of that LFS too. He called it a Snyder Weaver Blenny. To be honest, we are not really sure what this guy is. He does appear to be a Blenny or Goby, but I can't even find Snyder, Weaver, and Blenny all in the same sentence on Google! We did a lot of research, and the closest that we could find is the Wheelers Watchman Goby (profile on liveaquaria). Otherwise, I would say he is a cross between a longnose hawkfish and red scooter blenny!

Here's a good pic of him, and I can take more if you need them.

If he is indeed a wheeler watchman, that makes me very happy since that seems to be a hardy goby, and he is eating already (in QT), and has a remarkable personality! We named him Plinko! Otherwise, we may need to return him if we cannot support him . We will do what is necessary. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thought I would throw some more pics at y'all. I just took my Fluval 404 off the tank yesterday (we figured it would help cycle our 125g once we got our butts in gear, but now we're gonna sell that tank and get one of a more "manageable" size). We did get a 55g, which I think we are going to use as a sump for the next tank, which may be a 75 or 90g.

We just moved some of the LR around because with the Turbo Flotor pump (which is freakin' huge!), it made our whole tank look screwy. I also glued our frags into the tank (finally), and the stupid turbos haven't knocked the Zoos off since I did it!

We ordered some T5 lighting, which recently came in. Right now, we have a 1x65w 10k, and 2x14w T5 Actinic. There was supposed to be an additional 1x14w 10k, but the stupid ballast broke during shipment. Seriously, avoid Petblvd.com if you can - this is my 2nd broken item during shipment...ok, no more ranting. Let me tell you what, all the corals have gone nuts since I put the actinic on the tank - I swear the GSP, Zoos, and Xenia have gotten bigger since!

As another side benefit, I just negotiated the purchase of a Bak-Pak 2 HOB skimmer, so with the smaller pump I will have some more room in the tank. The current pump is just gigantic!

On to the pics!

Here's a full shot of the tank

Pulsing Xenia

Mushroom

Zoos (still alive - yay!!)

GSP

Elegance!

Feather Duster

Good shot of Plinko (our sandhopper blenny in QT)

Plinko in his house!

Pedro!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #73
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Lookin good!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haven't posted in a while since I was letting my tank do its thing and mature. We lost the blenny in QT - not really sure why. The Sg was pretty high (1.028) and he was having trouble breathing, but I am not sure that was the cause. Other than that, we added some new corals to the tank including a hairy mushroom, a candy cane (or trumpet - not sure which), and some acro frags that I won at a local reef club meeting. I don't have nearly the lighting to let the acro color up and flourish, but hopefully I can keep him alive until I am able to get my bigger tank going. I'll be sure to put some pics up tonight of the tank.

EDIT: As promised...

our new hairy mushroom

Some new zoas that are not green!

our new dying acro...

And a full tank shot

Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #75
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Lookin' very nice, MSU. I like that hairy mushroom. Did you decide what to do with the Acro yet? Gonna try gutting off the infected parts? Acros are very hardy when fragged, so cutting the infected areas off might be the only way to save it...

Regardless, tank looks nice, great job!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nah - that frag wouldn't have survived very well in my tank anyway since the lighting regimen is so low. Basically, the whole bottom half is RTN'ed, so I am going to toss it.

I am saving my pennies for an upgraded tank. I have a 120, but it's too big for the only wall space it can have, so we are on the prowl for a 75 or 90. I need to post trying to sell that huge tank and get it out of my living room.

If I get a 75g or 90g, I would like to (if I can convince my wife) install a cali (or calfo) overflow in it and drill the back. I may need to have a professional glass place do the work to get my wife to allow it, or drill one of our smaller tanks first...

Thanks on the tank compliment. We're trying. We actually picked up a used bak-pak 2 skimmer for the tank, which is significantly less obtrusive than the turboflotor skimmer we had HOB. Seems to be working well after tweaking and allowing it to breakin in. I also took the fluval off the tank. so now we just have the flow from the skimmer, a penguin 1140, and a AC 801 PH. A more managable 2+ flow rate v. the 45X I had with the fluval and other protein skimmer!

All in all, it's going well. We need some more frags in there to give the tank more color. Of course, we need to put another fish or two in there, but I just had to kill my qt after the blenny died. so it will be another couple of weeks before that is up and running again.
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #77
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I just have to say, NICE!!! I like the ceramic rings on your QT for the beneficial bacteria. Great job!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Roka! Appreciate the comments. I just cleaned the AC20 HOB out after the blenny died, so I am actually going to put the rings/matrix into in again and let it gain the bacteria from the 29g again to start up another QT. I am figuring I will need to leave it on the tank for a couple of weeks, so that will give me time to shop around and research.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #79
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can keep your QT constantly up and running by adding a pinch of food twice a week, when you don't have an animal in it. The food will provide the beneficial bacteria a food source.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the info! Like I said, I am restarting the QT, so I will keep that in mind for when it is up again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com