Questions for doing a 20 gal long DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that I want more flow, what I have is perfect. I just want to know why some gph flow charts say that 1- 3/4" sch 40 flows around 300gph. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To many variables to tell im sure if we tested the same way they do we would get the same rate. My buddy's system (1200gl) use's 4in. drains on his overflow Spec's say they flow 14k gph There's no way there draining that much lol

Ok no worrys, I'm just glad that my gph is what it is. It was kinda a shot in the dark. Thanks for all your expertise!

Still kicking around my sump ideas, just wondered since my skimmer (65 gal coralife super skimmer) is a hob and in sump style, could I go hob and make my skimmer section smaller to make my fuge bigger? Also was thinking about a ato to have a smaller return and bigger fuge as well. Good idea or not good idea?

I like an in sump skimmer just for the piece of mind if it over flows it dont flood your floor. The return area is where you'll see any evap. so if you have a small return area you will need an ATO. I lose about 5 gallons a day to evaporation. Trust me i love my ATO lol. Even the smallest fuge will remove nutrients

Hey grizz, I planned on building a aluminum pan underneath my sump with a bulkhead with 3" sides so if my sump overflows it will spill into my pan and drain into the bulkhead that will go to a drain into my basement. It will work like a water heater pan. It will also serve as a waste drain where I will do my water changes.
As far as being efficient space for a hob skimmer I just read that too turbulent water isn't good for your skimmer so I'll probably just go with an in-sump skimmer, and make my return smaller with an ato. Probably go 6" wide, I don't know how deep I should have my water in there tho

mine is 10x12x10 (5.2 gl.) the baffles are 10in high. Good idea on the drain pan i rino coated the inside of my stand

So you rhino lined the whole inside?
I'm guessing, so you protect the walls from moisture & to be able to wipe down? Sounds like I have another thing to do. Lol
My sump is a 20 gal long. I think it's 30" long 12" wide and 12" tall. My skimmer needs 11" (1st compartment with bubble trap) fuge around 12"(2nd compartment) and return around 7" (3rd compartment) is 7" large enough for a return as long as I have a ato?

If i were to do it again i would use a marine paint about 1/5 the cost.
The return is a bit small you will NEED an ATO Im using a JBJ that has been in service for the past 6 years. If it were me i'd make the return area 9 inches, a little smaller fuge wont hurt.

Ok, will do the marine paint. Ok on the 9" return. Definitely getting a ato (probably a diy lol) What do you think about air bubble traps 1 or 2?

I dont have any in my sump but it cant hurt to have one before the return area. You dont have a lot of flow threw yours so you may not even need any.

Ok, that's a thought. I plan on doing a test run before I put my rock and sand in and I should be able to see if any micro bubbles make it to the return without a trap

Back
Top Bottom