Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Questions for doing a 20 gal long DIY sump

I recently purchased a 20 gal long tank and a coralife 65 gal super skimmer. The directions are pretty vague on setting the water height in the sump compartment. Didn't know if anyone had a similar setup that I could cheat off of. this is my first saltwater tank, 46 gal bowfront with 20 gal long sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using it in sump or as a hang on? In sump the pump needs to be covered by 3-4 inches of water in order for the skimmer to work. the outlet needs to be clear not under water or it will cause the skimmer to flood.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm using it in the sump. Do you have this same skimmer?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

So with what you are telling me, my water level should be at about 7" and the directions are saying that it should be at about 9 1/2". The outlet would be submerged by about 2" of water. I'm guessing that there would be a siphoning effect that would cause the skimmer to flood. So 7" is 4" above the top of the pump and that is where I'm going to set my first baffel for a bubble trap.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember, it's always easy to raise a skimmer in the sump. Many of us, myself included, have platforms to raise the skimmer to the best hight. Raising the depth of the section afterwards, on the other hand, is very difficult.
I would recommend the deeper depth and then raise the skimmer with egg crate or, in my case, 1/2" thick plastic cutting board.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

So ingy, I should probably set my first baffel at 8-9"? And raise the skimmer with a shim. Good idea.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont have it any longer I set my 1st baffle at 10 in. then set the skimmer on a stand with the output dumping into the next chamber

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok cool, so I could dump it right into a bubble trap then. Thanks grizz

Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a 3 section sump, then you can skim in the first and dump into the second. But I would caution against any for of dumping into the return section. In the event that a fat turbo gets into the DT overflow (It can happen in some overflow types), then your return pump will simply pump out the final section to the DT. Hopefully this will not cause an overflow (if your design is done right). However, if your skimmer dumps into the return section bubble trap, then, potentially, you could pump out most of your sump into the DT. So I would have your skimmer outflow close to, but not into, the return section.

Taking into account the 2 types of failures is critical in sump design. 1. A return pump failure, and 2. an overflow plugging.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I plan on having 2 - 3/4" bulkhead internal overflows in my DT. The directions on my skimmer says to let it pump out of the first compartment in my sump and dump it in my first compartment of my sump and then let it overflow into a bubble trap. I guess I will probably do it that way, it just didn't make much sense to be putting clean water that you just skimmed back into the first compartment to be skimmed again. But I guess that 55 gal coming thru two 3/4" lines should recycle quite often (by the way I don't have a return pump yet) still don't know my head height.

Tags
diy, diy sump, long, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com