Questions from a new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
First, Thank you to all of you that post here. I have been reading (stalking) for several weeks after finding this site and just registered today.

I have a 55 gallon sw tank (48" W 21" T 12" D) that has just finished cycling. Tank was formerly a fw tank with one giant red belly pacu (15" long) aka "the sole survivor" that recently passed away.

I did not know about the shrimp thing so I have 2 Damsels (had 3, one died) that made it through the cycle. I just added a green crab just cause it looked cool. I have 55 lbs of crushed coral and about 15 lbs of live rock from lfs. I plan to add additional lr from lr.com (again thanks for the find).

Here are my questions :D

1. I have an undergravel filter with dual AquaClear 50s Is this good, bad or no big deal?

2. For filtration I have a Penguin 330. Again, any comments/issues?

3. The heater is a Penn-Plax Therma flow PC. I do not know the wattage but find that I am constantly turning it up and down slightly to try and maintain about 80*. I think I need to replace it. Thoughts?

3. Last but not least. Down the line I want to get some corals. I have dual hood tops by Perfecto. They both take a single bulb. Will 50/50 bulbs work or do I need something else? Do I need to replace both hoods with something else? Do I need to replace bulbs even if they are working? I read one book that said to replace every 6 months, but my lfs said replace only when the burn out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris

1. save and get rid of the undergravel, I personally like the sump (wet/dry). You have a few options on this....go buy a wet/dry w/ everything (overflow box and ect.) or buy a overflow box and make your own sump out of a cheap tank.

2. see 1. LOL the aquaclear 50s you may want to get rid of or us them in the sump...the penquin 330 (assume thats a Powerhead) use in ur tank for water flow.

3. use it and if it is not keeping your tnak warm enough then either add another one or replace it :) no need to go and buy alot of stuff unless you really need it

4. if those are NO lights....thats only 80watts with 40 watt bulbs. it will be ok for a FOWLR (thats what Ive got but double the lights) and when your tank is more mature then save and get better lights. Power compacts is what most suggest.

I definently suggest about 50lb or more LR....that will help with your water levels and act as a filter :) plus alot of life.

hope that helps.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I just added a green crab just cause it looked cool.
Sorry, not good practice. Impulse buys can really cause trouble and limit what you can do with your tank in the futture. Please research before you buy. It will save you a lot of trouble.
I have an undergravel filter with dual AquaClear 50s Is this good, bad or no big deal?
Get rid of the UGF, it is outdated technology. 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR will be a mcuh better filter.
For filtration I have a Penguin 330.
Ths is okay for mechanical and chemical filtration. Just clean it on a regular basis.
Last but not least. Down the line I want to get some corals. I have dual hood tops by Perfecto
This is, more then likely, the factory NO hood that cam with the tank. It is not strong enough to keep any type of corals. You will need to purchase a new hood with stronger lighting. Once you decide what type of corals you want to keep you can find the apporopriate lighting.
I read one book that said to replace every 6 months, but my lfs said replace only when the burn out.
Bulbs do need to be changed before they burn out. As bulbs age, they loose spectrum. this will cause some problems with algea. In a FO or FOWLR tank changing the bulbs isbnot as important as it is in a reef tank.

Thanks for the replies.

Both are saying to get rid of the UGF, but my question is Is it hurting anything? It's not that old and I really don't want to turn the whole tank upside down to take it out.

Any recomendations on a new hood that will work with this size tank. LFS has some but not many. If I am going to re-do the lighting I am going to do it right. Price is not a major issue.

It will be a nightmare to do it later so yes....I would remove it now before the tank it more mature.
as far are ur hood....honestly Id get ur filters and other stuff working and stable and then look into lights. You can get hoods that fit online....all depends on what your looking for. I get catalogs from both PetSolutions and Drfosters and they both have alot of stuff and gives you a good price figure to go by. Go to their web sites and request for a free one. :) a dual PC hood would be good for you. look here--->http://www.petsolutions.com/Current+USA+Satellite+Powercompact+Lights-I-42901003-I-C-33-C-.aspx
heres the links for both sites...ive bought from both and they are both good
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
http://www.petsolutions.com/

I would also get rid of the UGF now. It can cause high nitrates in the future. trust me, you will wish you had down the road.
For lighting and fixtures check out www.captivereefs.com
Darin is a member and sponsor of this site and well deserving of your support.

Back
Top Bottom