Questions on 125 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N.Ben125

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to SW and I have some questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 125 gallon tank that I'm thinking about setting up as SW, I'm thinking I would like to do a FOWLR setup to start.
I'm trying to this on a budget and just wanted to get some feedback before going any further. Here are some of my questions.
1 What is the minimum lighting required? my tank is 72" long so do I need 72" of ballist/bulb? What type of bulbs NO, T5, VHO?
2 I have some what I believe to be LR that is now dead, will this grow again? Also what can I use to clean it - was in a FW tank that had troubles - all fish died is this a concern?
3 How much filtration is required for this type of setup? Can I use a canister type filter?
4 How many GPH is required for a tank this size?

I have read some books just find exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

for a FOWLR the lighting doesn't really matter, you can run any type of light you want.

as for the live rock, it also depends what type of rock it is. more porus rock builds up more of a bacteria colony. and the flow for such system should be about 10x the aquarium size so abotu 1250 or more. i personally would go with 3-4 korallia 550 evolutions, place one on each side an aim them to the middle then place two in the middle on the back of the glass and aim them to each side as much as the swivle allows.

as far as filtration most would say use a sump. with a fowlr a wet/dry trickle system would work just fine with a reef system i would go with a sump/refugium.

Yup I totally agree with the above. Lights for fish only arent a necessity so anything will do. I iwould buy ALOT of base rock and add soem live rock to seed it. The base rock is at least half the price of live rock and in a few onths you wont be able to tell the difference.

Try www. reefcleaners.org for the base rock, Ibelieve they are having sale right now :)

Ok thanks, what would be good to clean my tank and LR that I already have?

Back
Top Bottom