Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK Now I understand the lighting so a 50/50 55/65 Watt bulb would be all I would need right? Or do I need to separate bulbs to get the full effect? Also I'm still not sure what substrate to get...crushed coral seems like it would take a lot to maintain. What do you recommend? Also how many GPH would a powerhead for a 30 gal tank need to be?

jordyt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you got for the CF, a 55/65W 50/50 bulb would work just fine.

I like sand. But if all you are keeping is fish, then CC is easier to vacuum out. If you plan on having any critters, such as hermits or snails, I'd go sand.

Reef setups do 10x turnover, but you could probably get away with less. Maybe two smaller (100-150gph) powerheads to create more random flow?

55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok...So here is a final list of everything I am going to buy or already have:
30 Gallon Aquarium
Two Powerheads
25lbs of Live Rock
Carib-Sea Reef Sand- 40 Lbs
Protein Skimmer
Inverts that Clean
50/50 55/65 Watt CF Bulb
Light Fixture
Water Test Kit
Aquarium Salt Mix

Is there anything I am missing? Also what do the clownfish eat? Also could I still have the clownfish if I didn't want to buy the live rock and lighting? Basically what is the minimum I would need to have clownfish, inverts that clean, starfish, and other small fish that are compatible with clownfish.
jordyt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Newbie
That should do it. I just recently started a 30g SW reef tank and got two clowns who have paired up. Very cute. I love them. Currently, I have a AquaClear 200 HOB filter, protein skimmer (removed and to be replaced with a HOB fuge), 40# LS/ 30# LR, 5 turbo/20 nassarius (love these guys) snails, 10 blue legged hermits, banded coral shrimp, no corals yet. I check my water almost daily (pretty paranoid with my clowns ), and do weekly 10% water changes. Feed them a mixed diet of frozen and flake food. Brine shrimp is like candy to them but not very nutritional. Stick with mysis shrimp, blood worms, spirulina flakes. Check out this FAQ on feeding clowns. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=288782
Here's a pic of my tank

Fishfood is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com