Questions on cost Of running a SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonnieC

Aquarium Advice Activist
So when I get my new tank, Im still debating what size to go with.

When it comes to costs, I know the initial cost is high and getting all the fish, coral, etc. Once the tank is complete, can you all give me some estimates of costs? Im having a hard time seeing where all the money goes. But I see an awful lot of people "downsizing" their beautiful tanks due to money.

Erm.. what are you looking for in terms of costs? Like.. monthly electric bills because of the heaters, powerheads, lights, filters, etc.. Or maybe monthly costs of food, water, salt mix, replacing light bulbs.. ??

It's hard for us to give you a complete estimate without really knowing the scope of your question. You have to be specific, unless you want someone to answer a junkload of questions you yourself may not even care for.

I guess the most expensive part of SW.. in the long run, would be the livestock. Coral, fish, inverts. A lot of livestock for SW are expensive, with the exception of all the cheap fish and inverts, but that's usually never the case with coral. I have a hard time finding coral for under 20$.. but that's why frags were invented. :)

Second most expensive thing, would probably be food and salt costs. The larger the tank, the more salt you will need. The larger the tank, the more fish, the more food you will need.

Next most expensive thing, IMO, would be replacing the light bulbs. Depending on the fixture you are running of course. But for me.. it will be around $50-80 depending on the quality of the bulb i intend to get. But i'm not planning on buying junky bulbs for my fixture, so i'll probably spend $70.

See where i'm going with this? The daily, monthly, yearly, and overall costs really vary from tank to tank, and from person to person. But in my mind, and from what i've seen so far, the larger the tank the more money you will be spending overall.

Yeah I guess Im thinking monthly overall costs. And I know you cant just pop out an answer. But its hard for me to decide between something around 30-40g and 150ish gallons. I know th fish and coral cost a lot. I was thinking food, water, etc. Just general up keep of a tank that has all its inhabitants.

Well that's still very subjective. Things like the quality of food you buy, your water and power companies rates and your LFS prices can greatly effect this too. Sorry. :( It's just so hard to give an accurate answer. :)

I'd like to find a 30-40g but I can NOT find what I want and it's driving me nuts.

I like the cube shapes but I need straight glass (starphire even better though not necessary) because Im a camera nut. Biocubes have a light curve on the front so wont work.

I really like the 30g oceanic cube (not the biocube) and I LOVE their 40 gallon stretch hex (that one isnt really tall which is sweet). But no one here sells them. I can NOT find a place online that ships! The Solana 34g might be an option though. Either way, after getting ripped off $300 (per my other noob thread) money is a bit of an issue.

The local pet store has the 40g breeder tank. I love that too! BUT...I need a nice black stand and can't find anything anywhere to fit that tank. (I am NOT a carpenter, lol)

Biocubes are oddly not that bad to take pictures in. I'm a big photo nut, so that was my biggest worry on the cubes and on bowfronts, and i've gotten excellent pictures out of each. You may have to work a little harder for them once in a while, but I don't see that as a reason to discount the cubes. :)

Really? What I like about those cubes is that they are all set up. I'm trying to understand setting up a tank from scratch and have been reading a lot. But it gets pretty complicated with certain lights, sumps, etc. A lot of it is like a foreign language to me still.

Im really into photography though and do it for a living. I have a really sweet macro lens I just got so would like to be able to take good pics of my critters. It's totally impossible to get a good shot with this 10g half moon I have now.

P.S. Thanks for that link about costs. Perfect!

What do you guys think of this tank for a nano?
Nanotuners.com

It's a bit pricey but not that much more than the Biocube with stand. Would it need modifcations or good to go? Are lights enough for corals?

As a newbie, it is SO hard tryin to sort out what I need.

The solanas are great tanks. I've seen tons of people with them and none have complained about the tank or the whole setup in general. They actually are very nice tanks, and 34G is a great size to start, or to even use forever. I plan on using my 25G forever.. lol. Maybe when i get my own place i could upgrade to a larger cube.. but not much larger than 50G.

The solana comes with a 150W HQI MH bulb so yeah, that light would be excellent for any coral you wanted to keep. However, any of the more light-demanding SPS would need to be placed in the upper half of the tank, since 20" of water is still a lot of water. I'll be running a 150w HQI MH pendant as well on my 18" high tank, and i also need to put SPS on the upper half of the tank.

Yah.. montis mostly. But i will have a couple acro frags and definitely a green birdsnest. But that's all for SPS.

I would think those montis would quickly shade what's below them. :) BTW I have an awesome link of what this guy did with some monti frags that looks amazing. I'll post it on your profile when I find it. :)

Saw it just now, that monti idea is pretty sick. But yeah.. i plan to have just a couple anyways.. not like im gonna stock up on montis lol.

Back
Top Bottom