Questions on Phos reactor and refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, so I am putting together a new tank and I have yet to add a refugium or reactor to any of my previous tanks. My questions are... If the point of a refugium is to lower phosphate levels through macro algae, then why would I need a phosphate reactor on the sump as well? Won't the reactor remove the phosphates starving out the macro algae? Should I use a fuge and then put something else in the reactor? Okay guys think that's all the questions lol. Any input would be great. Thanks! :)

personally i believe reactors like GFO removes the phosphate at a faster rate than macro algaes. for macro algae, you have to have fuge light running over the macro algae, allow it to grow, then harvest and throw away in order to remove phosphate from the system. albeit it's natural and doesn't require constant supply of the pellets, it's more dependent on time. also, it never hurts to have both as there's no such thing as too clean water and i'm sure macro algae will survive even if you believe there's not enough phosphate in the system. lastly, i like macro algae because it provides food/housing for the macro fauna, ie pods.

I run both on my system. Running media like GFO only removes phosphates where macro algaes consume both nitrate and phosphate, where it consumes much more nitrate than phosphate. Though there are 'anti-nitrate' media out there...in all honesty I've never seen anything as effective as water changes and gfo/phosguard.

Well I found this guy at petco on clearance for $17.99 sometime last year so I have had it sitting, waiting for a tank to use it on.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394762623.323404.jpg

Woot woot! Haha so, where is the best place to put the reactor pump and should I hang it on the sump or to a wall? I am thinking doing intake and skimmer in section one, fuge in part 2, then return and reactor is last section? That ok?

I was planning on that. But I just have to figure out the size sump to DIY. I have a 24x24x24 cube and I DIY a stand that is 26x26x36tall what can I get to fit in there. Don't want to use a 10g but I will if I have no other choice

Hmmmm gears are turning now haha. I will see what I can find. thanks for the help! I will post back when I find a sump. All I am missing for this build is the sump and lighting. Here is the stand I made and the reef ready tank I got from my LFS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394764735.508145.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394764701.969760.jpg

I use a cheap clip on work light I bought at walmart for like 3 dollars...though keep in mind that the better the lighting you put over the refugium the better the algae will grow!

Back
Top Bottom