Questions on sump and light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi there
have to bother u guys again XP
I m planning to start a sump for my 46 gal tank.
ok, here we go

I m planning to buy CPR CS 50 overflow box,
but don't know what to buy on the return pump, should I get a return pump that pump faster than the overflow or other way around.
my overflow to my sump its 3ft. the CPR 50 has a flow rate of 300 gph.
I m thinking the use max jet 1200, but it only has a fr of 295 gph, so I would love to know some recommend brand on the return pump from all of you.

and is that ok if I use flexible tubes instead of pipes, cuz I m not really good at doing the pipes thingy. XP

Lighting, I really have no idea what should I get.
they r all expensive, so I really need some good advices.
I m planning to have corals (I already have some star polyps on my live rock), probably won't goes for hard corals since I m a beginner on reef tank; but I might in the future, so i am thinking to get a light that can fit that. (I love blue light!! <3, I also saw something call moon light on ebay, r they good, anyone here using it?)

sry for all the questions, I really don't wanna mess up.
need to have a good plan so I don't waste money.
Thank you so much for all of your time!!

For the return pump, get something thats close to what your overflow can handle but never go over it. (if the overflow is 800gph get something under that, but close like 700 or so) Also, for that overflow you may want to purchase the Aqua Lifter to get the air out. Air in a siphon means bad news. for the return pump, i'd go with something like a via aqua or mag drive or quiet one. Those are three brands I know are reliable.

Yes, you can use flex hose. On the return, flex hose is actually the best.

Lighting: If you want to go full on reef tank, i would suggest either HO T5 fixture or a metal halide fixture. If you want FOWLR then you can probably get away with a power compact light. Moon lights are only for nocturnal viewing really, as for normal lighting you need something strong for corals. And for blue lighting, make sure your fixture has daylight/actinic bulbs or 50/50 bulbs.

hope that helps

I would look for a return about 300-325GPH as head loss will lower it to around the correct amount.

I would suggest PVC for the overflow as it is much easier to plumb how you like it. It can go into the sump without chance of falling out. Just let the glue cure a few days before use. Flex pipe as said above, will dampen the pump vibration.

Since the aquarium is only 36" long, the price difference of over 300 dollars for the more powerful metal halide doesnt seem worth it. If you dont mind only keeping easy SPS at the top most of the tank than T5HO would work the best.

take a look at the esshopps Overflows.. A bit cheaper and no need for the aqualifter. Have had mine running for months now and never once has lost it's siphon.

I have this model along with a Mag-9 return pump. I divert some of the return water to my Refugium section as well using Ball Valves. I can control the flow rate up to my DT as well as to the Fuge.
Overflow Box - Up to 125 Gallon - Single - 8 in. x 3 in. x 10 in. | Wet/Dry Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

I guess for lighting we'd need to know your budget before giving recommendations. I have the Nova Extreme Pro 36inch model and it cost me approx $300. I'm in the process of upgrading my bulbs in the fixture now (still researching) and I expect to pay well over $100 when I'm done for 6 new ones.

so if I get a quiet one 1200 (296gph), will that be fine or its too close to the overflow? do u think max jet will work? cuz I have a extra one.
is HO a brand name or its refer to something else?
I saw like NO, HO, and VHO in Marine Depot.com~ wts the different between them?

HO is high output. NO is Normal output. And that was the pump i was looking at for the tank. It would be fine.

I have a quiet one 1200 but it's not my return pump. xD you could get the next size up and add a T to control the water flow. (throttle it back if its too much)

And NO= normal output HO = high output and VHO = very high output
(dang AMD beat me LOL)

ok so, the return pump need to have higher flow rate! got it XP
to AMDphen is SPS= start polyps?
eshopps Overflows looks good, wonder why the price between that and CPR r so different OoO?!
for light, I really don't have limit, if I don't have enough money, I save more and go buy it LOL, I just want the best for my tank. I will probably upgrade my tank to a bigger one when I leave my parent and own my own house LMAO. so a bigger light won't hurt i guess~

CPR is like "high quality" but honestly, eshopps won't loose prime if you have a good flow rate.

as I said I m not really good at constructing the pipes, and none of my friends r good at that, thats why I m thinking to go for flex tubes XP, maybe I can try~

PVC is sooo easy to work with! You can cut it with like almost any saw and its easy to glue. If you've never worked with it, it can seem hard at first but once you get it all done youll be like "wow that was easy!"

CPR is like "high quality" but honestly, eshopps won't loose prime if you have a good flow rate.

if I get a eshopps, should I get a 800gph then? but will that too much for my 46gal tank LOL?
eshopps is like way cheaper OoO 800gph is like half of the price of a 300gph CPR ~ROLF~

if I get a eshopps, should I get a 800gph then? but will that too much for my 46gal tank LOL?
eshopps is like way cheaper OoO 800gph is like half of the price of a 300gph CPR ~ROLF~

I got the 800gph model and i love it. my tanks 75G and i kind of think it may be too little. I say go for 800gph. You can get a via aqua 2300 and it provides pretty good flow. (thats how mines set up and it works great!)

PVC is sooo easy to work with! You can cut it with like almost any saw and its easy to glue. If you've never worked with it, it can seem hard at first but once you get it all done youll be like "wow that was easy!"

I used PVC to higher up my life rock above the sand LOL, is that count~ haha
I think I will try~

I got the 800gph model and i love it. my tanks 75G and i kind of think it may be too little. I say go for 800gph. You can get a via aqua 2300 and it provides pretty good flow. (thats how mines set up and it works great!)

via aqua 2300 only have 600gph, should I get a higher one if I m going for 800gph eshopps?

You dont need to use all 800GPH of it. It will only go as fast as it gets water. The part in the tank is where water is taken in. When the pump moves faster the water level is higher and thus more water in the tank filling the overflow box. The siphon goes faster due to a higher supply and it equalizes.

And SPS is Small Polyp Stony "Coral". Its the type that needs alot of light compared to other types of corals.
Acropora%20prostrata.gif
This is a picture of acropora.

Pvc is very simple to use. Simple measure about the distance form the overflow down to the sump, then cut. Measure again, cut, glue and tada.

If you run all 800 GPH that will be alot in my opinion. Unless you want to do a tank full of sps, then run it lower GPH and have 2 or 3 powerheads, a few to keep the top level high flowing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom