Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

questions.. so many questions..

I'm thinking of more and more questions as time draws close to setup.. My pro75 wet/dry sump protien skimmer and lights come in tomorrow.. and all I can think about is what else do I need.. so here's a list of everything I have for everyone to go over and tell me what they see missing... 55gal tank and stand, the sump, coralife lighting, 60lbs of live sand, 11lbs of lfs lr, ph8.2, stress coat and zyme, salt, just ordered 30lbs of hirock rock today, planning on lr.com keys rock 40lbs good 6lbs base. Ok.. that looks to be about it.. now.. what I'm pondering is this.. does my sump come with an overflow thingy? and do I need some kind of water agitator, or am I good for now? I know I've been having alot of questions, but I really appreciate everyone's help.. you guys are great.. I'm a bit neurotic about things..lol I like to have all my fish in a row..so to speak.. 8)

Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FU...TNUM=ACA207510 and I "think" this is the sump I got.. ordered it from lfs.. http://www.bestpetsupply.com/brands/Coralife/2841.asp and I believe this is the light I got.. just didn't pay that much for it..hehe

Old 04-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
its says pre-filter....which i believe is the overflow box - that is what most call it
looks it comes with it all....you may want to read about replacing the boi balls with LR rubble - thats what Im doin
Old 04-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

should I use the rubble in place of the bio balls or can I get by without it.. can I put rubble in it later?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you still need a heater and some powerheads for water movement. Dont forget the test kits and a good hydrometer or better yet a refractometer.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah.. that's what I was wondering.. the water agitation.. I have had saltwater before.. back in the days when undergravel filters were cool and I had a couple of powerheads on it.. are there special powerheads to get with this setup, which ones should I get? and what kind of heater..I was gonna get one..just looking for the right one.. I am putting it in the sump.. oh.. and any good test kits that anyone knows about to get? and I was thinking about the refractometer later.. but for now..just the plastic thing.. oh yeah.. and "watt" wattage of heater should I get?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok.. just got an email from hirocks.com and they tell me that paypal check takes 4 dayz to verify..well I'm goin to FL on Sat and won't be back till next week.. if I don't get the dead rock until then, will my system be ok?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Get a couple of Maxi-Jet 1200's, those with the sump return pump should be more than enough water flow.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank u..
Old 04-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok.. so I need basically 2 powerheads pumping about 300gph? I saw somewhere that I need 10x the gal. I've only seen the ones that fit with undergravel filters... is there an attachment to put on the bottom of these to filter out sediment and fish?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com