Questions! Two options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTUSMC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys and gals!

I wanted to get everyone's input on my selection. First and foremost this is my first SW tank, I have done plenty of reading, and know what's involved. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you all with experience could answer.

1. I have a 50 gallon just sitting in the garage no lighting no anything. I would be starting from scratch. Or I could buy a Nuvo 38 gallon for 449.00. Which would you pick to start a reef aquarium? I'm looking for the most cost effective way, which I know I shouldn't be doing in SW. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Is the amount of fish or type of fish really that different from a 38 gallon to a 50 gallon?

The 50 is 48x13x19. The 38 sorry I don't have the measurements for its a nuvo 38 gallon all in one.

I would do the 50 as it is 2 feet longer which will allow fish much more room to swim. Also the 50 will allow for more customization than the all in one nuvo.

Thanks for the response! What would you estimate the cost of the 50 being? Considering I have only the tank? I'm just trying to get an idea.

Well are you wanting to do a reef tank or fish only with live rock? For a reef you will need a good light but fish only with live rock you will not.
Rock-$50-100 for 50lbs if you get base rock
Sand-$40-60
Heater-$20-30
Powerheads-$50-100
Filtration-do you want a sump or just hob filtration?
Light fowlr-cheap like $40-50
Reef-$200-300
Protein skimmer-depends on bioload of system If you need one or not IMO
Test kit-$30 for basic kit

Hope that helps some, then you have livestock costs but that just kinda adds up lol depending on what you get

Thanks for the response! What would you estimate the cost of the 50 being? Considering I have only the tank? I'm just trying to get an idea.
reef or fish only? if reef then your looking at..... 75lbs of rock 150$ for dry rock 250 dollars for lights if you go with dimmable leds 100 or so for powerheads 50 for a nice heater 175 or so for a protein skimmer 60lbs of sand 50 dollars 100 dollars for test kits you will also need salt, and making a sump is a good idea

Theres truly too many variables in the equation to give you a price for setups. I would try to focus more on building the setup. First thing youll want to do is sit down and decide what your endgame is with the tank ( fish only? Reef? If reef what type? NPS corals, softies? Lps, sps?) and what youd like to achieve with that. Once your endgame is figured out, you can write down a list of required equipment needed. Then simply start buying equipment. One thing i can tell you is to not go cheap on a skimmer, spend decent money on a good skimmer and itll give you years of reliable service

Wow! Thanks everyone for the input. I do want to do a reef set up. I've been doing lots of reading on sumps as I want to have one. Do you all recommend building one? If so is there a YouTube video or write up you would recommend?

Also I will have to drill my 50, it doesn't look to be too hard.

Do you have a recommendation on light set ups? I want to keep Octo-frog spawns and such I know it's a ways off but want to get the most appropriate lights.

Again thanks for all the input you have helped me so much.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the input. I do want to do a reef set up. I've been doing lots of reading on sumps as I want to have one. Do you all recommend building one? If so is there a YouTube video or write up you would recommend?

Also I will have to drill my 50, it doesn't look to be too hard.

Do you have a recommendation on light set ups? I want to keep Octo-frog spawns and such I know it's a ways off but want to get the most appropriate lights.

Again thanks for all the input you have helped me so much.

Should be a bunch of YouTube videos or online postings about custom sumps. It is basically just gluing acrylic baffles to make different compartments. If you drill it yourself just go super slow, it's not bad as long as you take your time. For lighting if you are trying to save some money go with 2 taotronic 120 watt dimmable leds. You can find them on eBay and they will grow any coral you want. Frogspawns are awesome corals here's mine

image-2901495428.jpg

Back
Top Bottom