queston for starting a s.w.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys i was thinking about making my 37 gal tall into a s.w. setup. would this size tank work or is it to small if its to small then im going to wait untill i get a house. just wanted to hear your thoughts.

its not to small, however the bigger the better imo. There are people with 6gal nanocubes and up.

I would recommend going to your nicest Lfs and see what fish you like the most. Then base your decision off that. I almost ended up doing a 47 bow until I saw a Powder Blue Tang at my lfs. which I knew I had to have. Then i found out that they need at least a 75 gallon tank. I scrapped the idea of a 47 gallon waited 2 months and bought my 150 gallon. I'm so happy I waited and got what i wanted.

i do agree with everyone that bigger is better but im in an apartment so i dont want to get to big, "hopefully my house is near being complete" befor i move as soon as i get my house im going to go for a 200 sw but for now id like to try with a 37.
also my aquarium came with a emporer 280 is this filter ok for saltwater or do i need to get another one?

The link that Mike provided is a must read IMO. The filtration in SW is completely different than in FW. The HOBs have a very limited application in SW and none at all in a tank your size. The live rock is your primary filtration. The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read. A SW tank takes much more time to stabilize and establish. The equipment tends to be pricey, but you want to only have to buy it once. Are you interested in a reef setup or fish only? If you're within 6 months of moving, I'd suggest waiting and researching until you can go with the tank you want ultimately. My reef tank is 6 months old and only now something to show off (still has some issues). It takes a long time to cycle properly and let the natural algae blooms and other issues come and go. I sat with an UGLY tank for a couple months.

im moving for sure in 5 months but hopefully within 2 months i can wait if its best im used to it after my fishless cycle on my 10gal.
i want a liverock setup, think they are the most natural looking tanks you could have,
its all up to the smart people on here cause i dont have any other legit help.

Back
Top Bottom