Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

quick cycling question...

Do I need filtration on while cycling? Got a new tank and want to let it cycle but don't have sump set up yet. Can I start cycling without it? Should have one set up within a week or two.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need filtration per sey, you need surface area for the bacteria to colonize. In a FOWLR or Reef setup, the live rock will be your surface area and your primary means of biological filtration.
So basically, the cycling stage is when the bacteria are reproducing and colonizing every bit of available surface area. If you are not planning on using LR, you will need some other high surface area medium such as filter floss, bioballs, etc.
As an aside, even in a bare tank, there will be some cycling occurring while awaiting the sump, as the glass itself will provide a small amount of surface area. Basically, you can't stop it from cycling unless you add a antibiotic agent such as chlorine (and why would anyone want to?).

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I am going to use live rock. So basically I can put my water and rock in, throw a piece of shrimp in and let it sit and cycle while waiting footer the stump?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is going to be a predator tank...so basically fowlr//or a few corals. So I'll go get my live rock today to get some surfaces going on for bacteria. Having no water movement for a bit won't hurt though right?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually I just found am old air pump. I'll just set that up to keep water movement going a bit. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Rock + shrimp = cycling. And then when you do get your sump attached, it should cycle very quickly.
Lack of water movement won't hurt, exactly, but it certainly won't help. It creates the potential for cyanobacteria to build up, since that requires low flow areas to establish.
Air pump is fine for now, but you should really invest in good powerheads or circulation pumps. Air pumps can make a major salt creep problem from all the bubble bursting.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay. I think I'll rig my gravel cleaner vacuum thing to constantly circulate the water for movement too. I have all the time in the world for cycling....due to a low budget since I've got my reef tank set up too. So I'm not too worried about time. Just wanna do it right. Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Happy to help. When I get bored I just scan through recently posted questions. LOL
It's good that you're taking it slowly. Too many people rush the fish in.

Tags
cycling, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com