Quick lighting question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a previous survey going on what lighting I should get on my standard 75g 48x19. Most people said 2x250 mh and PC... BUT, I am starting to look at the costs of T-5 and Darin at captivereefs has a 4 bulb t-5 retrofit with everything to fire it up for 225.00 It also has space to add MH sockets at a later time (which I wouldnt get hard or clams until later anyways) I was wanting to run anems and some soft coral and fish at first.

There are no wattage specs though on the CoralVue Retro T-5s he has listed though - I am assuming T-5 is all the same wattage? Should I go with the 2 or 4 bulb config at first if I may be adding 2x 175 or 250 mh in a few months? I am basically looking for a good white shimmering effect on my 3.5" sand bed with my 3x ph and enough light after I add the halides to run a good range of things. Keep in mind that I am worried about the 2 or 4 bulb configs because I dont have a TON of clearance on my sedona canopy and wondering if it would be too much light for my specimens (especially after the 2x halides later) and have also heard that T-5 penetration is not as good as true VHO or PC.

Thanks a ton everyone!

I'd go with the 4 bulb setup. T-5 is very intense lighting and penetration should equal if not exceed PC/VHO. You can always pull a couple of the bulbs later when you add the MH if you have heat/space issues. I think a pair of 250MH with 4 T-5 actinics would look great on a 75 and coral growth should be great. No matter how much light you put on this tank, you aren't going to match the tropical sun at noon over a shallow reef.

Would the Coralvue 4X T-5 retrofit be better than the Coralife 4X65 PC retrofit setup 48" ? Would love to add MH later... but never considered T-5.
No clams needed now... just some softies and maybe an anemone (oh, and the two clowns... :D)

That sound great then - 4 it is. Since I wont have the MH's for a while - should I run 4xactinics or 2xactinics and 2x something else? Then after getting the MHs later, what should I run?

I think the T-5 setup would give you more room for your MH's than the PC system would.
I would go with 2 actinics and 2 daylights for now. When I upgraded to MH, I'd switch to 4 actinics. JMHO.

Well, there are full hood setups that include that plastic cover and all ballasts, bulbs, reflectors, etc that come assembled and ready for use as soon as you open them and there there are the retrofit kits that are pretty much the same except there is no plastic housing and you must attact the reflector with all the bulbs, etc yourself to the bottomside of your canopy. Hope this helps.

As for everyone else - thanks for the advice. I will be going with the t-5 only setup for now with 2 and 2 and then switch to all actinic after I get the halides. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom