Quick Noob Question (Making saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm transporting a 90g reef tomorrow that is already established, so to make the move easier we are making 30g of saltwater at home. Here's my question, tomorrow morning when I check the salinity and if it's low, how much salt should I put in to raise it? Is there a rule? I'm worried we aren't going to mix the 30g right and kill the livestock.

Just put a cup of salt in, mix it around and test your water. For example if it raises the specific gravity by 0.005 and you need to raise it to 1.025 mix in 5 cups if you are at 1.000 (freshwater). Eventually you should find the amount you need to mix in to get to your specific gravity per gallon amount. :) Try to be precise as possible

Good luck on the SW! - Raymond

Just put a cup of salt in, mix it around and test your water. For example if it raises the specific gravity by 0.005 and you need to raise it to 1.025 mix in 5 cups if you are at 1.000 (freshwater). Eventually you should find the amount you need to mix in to get to your specific gravity per gallon amount. :) Try to be precise as possible

Good luck on the SW! - Raymond

+1. The only advice missing here is check the salinity of the 90 gallon first. Evaporation leaves the salt behind. You'll find in the salt world that your salinity is usually high in which case you add ro/di water to achieve 1.025. Good luck with the move

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I'm transporting a 90g reef tomorrow that is already established, so to make the move easier we are making 30g of saltwater at home. Here's my question, tomorrow morning when I check the salinity and if it's low, how much salt should I put in to raise it? Is there a rule? I'm worried we aren't going to mix the 30g right and kill the livestock.

Under add some more slowly and test again. Over, do the same with water. It is something that I'm sure has a good way to do it...but in all reality with practice you'll know exactly how much.

Back
Top Bottom