Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick Noob Question (Making saltwater)

So I'm transporting a 90g reef tomorrow that is already established, so to make the move easier we are making 30g of saltwater at home. Here's my question, tomorrow morning when I check the salinity and if it's low, how much salt should I put in to raise it? Is there a rule? I'm worried we aren't going to mix the 30g right and kill the livestock.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just put a cup of salt in, mix it around and test your water. For example if it raises the specific gravity by 0.005 and you need to raise it to 1.025 mix in 5 cups if you are at 1.000 (freshwater). Eventually you should find the amount you need to mix in to get to your specific gravity per gallon amount. Try to be precise as possible

Good luck on the SW! - Raymond

Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
Just put a cup of salt in, mix it around and test your water. For example if it raises the specific gravity by 0.005 and you need to raise it to 1.025 mix in 5 cups if you are at 1.000 (freshwater). Eventually you should find the amount you need to mix in to get to your specific gravity per gallon amount. Try to be precise as possible

Good luck on the SW! - Raymond
+1. The only advice missing here is check the salinity of the 90 gallon first. Evaporation leaves the salt behind. You'll find in the salt world that your salinity is usually high in which case you add ro/di water to achieve 1.025. Good luck with the move

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
So I'm transporting a 90g reef tomorrow that is already established, so to make the move easier we are making 30g of saltwater at home. Here's my question, tomorrow morning when I check the salinity and if it's low, how much salt should I put in to raise it? Is there a rule? I'm worried we aren't going to mix the 30g right and kill the livestock.
Under add some more slowly and test again. Over, do the same with water. It is something that I'm sure has a good way to do it...but in all reality with practice you'll know exactly how much.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys. The move took forever but it went very well.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good job!

Tags
ate, ick, noob, question, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com