Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to salt and was wondering about vacuuming. I've read you aren't supposed to vacuum to sand but to do just water changes using my vacuum, is it okay to use the same one for salt water and fresh water? Or should I have two separate ones?

I would say get different ones, unless you can make sure it don't let the water go back in that was siphoned..if that made sense. Probably better to go with 2 though.

I Make RO/DI water ahead of time in a 30 gallon brute trash can. Then I put a powerhead, heater, and salt in the bin and let it mix for 24 hours. Ill Take out about 10-20 gallons depending on how long I've gone without a water change and throw the dirty water away and pump water from the trash can to the sump with a maxi-jet.

It's recommend 10% weekly for water changes, but you can find out what's best for your system..maybe 30% a month or whatever. Try to match the salinity of the new saltwater with the salinity of your tank water as close as possible.

Back
Top Bottom