Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was reading in one thread that a glass top on an aquarium holds the heat in.. should i look into another form of top for my tank or is the top I have good enough??

TIA-ant

the problem is that CO2 builds up and can lower PH. I hear that many people buy Eggcrate which is used for ceilings, it can be found in Home Depot. Its just like a plastic grid. I personally prop my lid open a little so the gas can escape. I am also thinking of drilling holes in the back plastic strip. Hopefully this will be good enough. The reason why i dont want to use eggcrate is because i have a yellow watchman goby and they are know to be jumpers. It really depends on your parameters to decide what you have to do.

Yah the eggcrate would work but if you say holding the glass up will help then I would prolly do that because the pvc already holds the lid up i just didnt think that was enough...okay thanks

I've never seen my yellow watchman more than 5 inches off the substrate. My top is completely open with just a canopy(the back is open). No glass means better gas exchange and less heat buildup. Keeps the water oxygenated better.

I've never seen my yellow watchman more than 5 inches off the substrate.
Mine either. They are substrate dwellers. Go topless if you can. Better gas exchange and better light penetration for corals if you have them or want them in the future.

thats what i thought too, mine is always on the bottom, they say occasional jumpers on liveaquaria, and this was confirmed when i purchased mine, the LFS guy went to catch him with a net and he jumped into the tank next to it. I figured that this would be just when you are trying to catch them.

Quote from Liveaquaria "It may try to jump out of the aquarium or other small openings, therefore, a tight-fitting lid is required to prevent escape."

Would anyone suggest putting the lid on at night and keeping it open during the day?? my tank is in my kitchen and someone is always going to be in there cooking, cleaning, etc.
I dont have any fish yet this is for future reference...

...other than an eggcrate any thing else i can put on top or should i just leave it open??

Thanks a lot :D

Back
Top Bottom