Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lights off will do nothing. Your fog will go insane and you will achieve nothing. Cyano is a bacteria, not an algae, and isn't photosynthetic. Also, lights off will not solve the nutrient problem. Sorry to be the bearer of had news.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would run lights on a normal time schedule for the fish. They need some lights to stay sane.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cyno appears after a cycle, insufficient lighting or when the spectrum changes from older bulbs. It's not photosynthetic it just happens in not 100% sure. But it usually goes away within 2 weeks when the problem is corrected
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually cyano is photosynthetic. Prefers light in the 6500K range. But, yes, it eats too. But I did forget this tank had fish during the cycle.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

That would make sense from the spectrum change from year old bulbs. High lights will get rid of it but then a new problem. Green hair algae if your nitrates and phos are high lol
Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrazyroyboy
That would make sense from the spectrum change from year old bulbs. High lights will get rid of it but then a new problem. Green hair algae if your nitrates and phos are high lol
Cyano is photosynthetic and also aquatic it feeds both ways cut back lil on light cut lil on feeding up waterflow aggressive skimming
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a bad Cyano problem a few months ago. Im always afraid to use any of the red slime removers so I go with the manual process (50% water change then scrub every single rock with a tooth brush in the waste water). I then change my PC bulbs and as expected I get an outbreak of hair algae. I staffed up my CUC and added a one spot fox face. The hair algae is receding and so far no new cyano. Doing 30% water changes until everything is back to normal.

Every couple of years I get complacent on my water changes and end up right back where I am now. I think color changes in my PC bulbs are the trigger. It takes 2-3 months of hard work but you can overcome this problem.

I've been keeping a SW tank for about 10 years now... I am anything adding anything that doesn't naturally occur in the ocean.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #18

I've cut back on the feeding, and been on a regular schedule with the lights and it seems to calm down. Also changed up the food for the fish. Thanks for all the help once again
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #19

Well just to update I ended up using Chemiclean. And I have to say I was very hesitant to do it but no matter what I did it just wouldn't go away. But now that I did I'm very happy with the result. The fish were breathing a little hard for about 14 hours, they ate fine and weren't acting out of the ordinary. The corals just went on there merry day like nothing was going on. And the cyno... Peace out! That stuff worked it. Had to do a 20% change after 48 hours, then another 20% two days later and poof! The skimmer went nuts for a day but calmed down about day 4 (didn't turn skimmer on till after the first 48 hours). Thanks again for giving me some tips and tricks. Also changed my t5 bulbs. Clean tank!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you checked your phosphate levels? It has been my experience, high phosphates are usually what get it started.

Tags
bacteria, cyano, cyanobacteria, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com