Quick question on Eheim filter balls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to transfer some filter media balls from my Eheim (external canister wet/dry) to my internal fluval in my QT tank.

1. Eheim say you've got to put on a foam cover over the filter intake for the first 6 weeks, until cycling etc. has finished. The 6 weeks is now up - will taking this foam off the intake, AND in the same day removing some of the filter balls cause any problems with my main tank? I also have 2" live sand and quite a bit of rock (which should be live by now), and levels are all ok and have remained totally stable.

2. Will there be enough bacteria on the balls that I'm putting in my fluval (which at the moment has normal foam pads in it, I'm going to replace the foam pads with the eheim balls) so that I won't get any amm/nit spikes when I put my fish in QT?

3. When transferring the balls across, there are 2 baskets of them in the Eheim. How long can the balls be exposed to air, and out of the water, before the bacteria die? Is it ok to get a handful out with my hand, or would you use some sort of utensil to get the balls out and transfer them across?

4. Assuming my fish is ok in QT, and I don't use any medications, would putting some new, fresh media balls (and adding them to the ones that are already there) back in the eheim in my main tank, be preferable to putting the balls BACK that have been in the fluval?

Thanks guys!

I don't think removing a few of the balls will cause any problems in the main tank. I don't know how much biomedia to remove so that you don't have any ammonia problems in the QT tank. I would put whatever the Fluval would hold in and test the water every day. I would just pull a few out and put them in the other filter. As long as they don't dry out, the bacteria should be fine. As for #4, I don't think it will make any difference either way. A possible option in the future might be to keep the foam from the Fluval in the main tank or sump. That way, you could just remove it to the QT tank when needed.

I'm thinking I might just use the foam from the fluval (2 pieces) anyway, and put it in my main tank until it's colonised with bacteria. How long will this take? I have 40lbs live sand (about 2"), 35gallon tank, some base rock (which should be LR by now).

I'm thinking of securing it somehow to the back of the tank or something, out of sight.

Given the choice, should I:-

1. Put the 2 foam pads from the fluval in my main tank and let the bacteria colonise on them, then take them out and put them in the fluval (QT) when they have, or

2. Transfer some Eheim filter media balls from my main tank straight into my fluval (QT)?

Which would be better? I'm thinking maybe 1. may be less hassle, and the best way to go?

I don't really want to disturb my main tank because at the moment (touch wood!) everything is very stable.

Should I transfer some eheim balls across or put the fluval foam pads in my main tank for a bit?

If so, how long should I leave it in there before there'll be enough bacteria on it?

If there's any room in the Eheim, place the Fluval pads in the filter itself. That will help colinize the bacteria much faster. If not, then I would fine a clear area within the tank and bury one pad just below the surface of the sand. This will give you the maximum amount of surface contact and aerobic activity.

In either case, about 7-10 days would be best.

Cheers
Steve

OK - would you leave the 2nd fluval pad "clean" and dry then?

When I take the pad out from under the sand, it's going to have sand on it though? :p

MarkW19 said:
OK - would you leave the 2nd fluval pad "clean" and dry then?

When I take the pad out from under the sand, it's going to have sand on it though? :p
Shake it out as best you can :wink: Place the seeded one in the Fluval first and then the unused one after it to catch any stays grains. I have a Fluval as well so I am quite confident any stray particles that escape will just pass into the tank. There will be no damage to the equipment if that's your concern.

Cheers
Steve

Okie - so I "seed" one for 7-10 days in my main tank, and leave the 2nd foam pad as is, ie. unused/unseeded/dry etc.?

:p

PS. The 2 foam pads are placed side by side, not one on top of the other, so I guess the order I put them both in doesn't matter?

Which Fluval model do you have? If that's the case though, no it won't matter.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom