Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

quick question on my cycle

Hey everyone,

I started my cycle (75g tank) a week ago by adding 30kgs (approx 65 lbs?) of live rock and threw in a couple of raw shrimp. The live rock was in a giant tub at the LFS with good circulation, but the guy from the LFS said it had been there for about a month and would be perfect for cycling.

Water is at about 26 degrees (80F?) and all my equipment is on (see my info). Been testing for ammonia and nitrates, and ammonia is barely present, about 0.25-0.50 ppm and 0 nitrites. When i see the ammonia 'spike' what sort of number in terms of ppm is normal during a spike? Also how suddenly does the spike occur, or is it a gradual climb over a few days?

Most things i've read say the ammonia should spike after about 4-5 days. what should i do if i don't see a spike in the next couple of days?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Shrimp been in there for a week? It should be out by now. .50 is high for ammonia. I forgot, how high does the test kit read? You may already be where you need to be on this, and if so, you'll see nitrites rise soon and the ammonia come down.

Or it could be that the rock you got may have already been cured and have bacteria already on it - thereby consuming ammonia.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #3

Are nitrates going up?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:23 AM   #4

hey, thanks for the replies.

all readings are:
ph 8.2
amm .25ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 5ppm

the shrimps i threw in have disintergrated. is it possible with the amount of live rock that i put in that i may have bypassed the cycle, or just of had a very small one?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It looks like you are in the cycle right now. Wait now for your ammonia to go down and nitrates to go up. Then you will do a PWC and you`re ready to start

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com