Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I want salt water bec their so amazing to look at the reef with life
i really want a clown fish ever since i seen finding nemo!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
The problem is if you're looking for a "cheap" way, you're not going to do very well. The lighting you need to keep a reef costs about 200$. The salt is 30$ a bag. rock is 4$ a pound. Corals aren't cheap. fish aren;t cheap. food isnt just a flakes in a big box for 2 bucks at walmart. Salt is expensive. If you dont have the money, dont try to do it cheaply, you'll just kill nemo. Don't want something because the movie was shiny. Do some research.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codystar View Post
My mom thinks (i'm only 15 lol) that the chemicals in the water.

*Crystal Clear* (Clears water recemed by pet smart lol)
*Alge Removel* (Kills Alge)
*Aquarium Salt* (Idnk heals fish or removes disceas)
*Aqua Safe (For Healthy and Clear water)

What all do i need for a salt water tank? Jessica or anyone els?
Not asking for specifics or being nosy but what kind of financial resources do you have being that your 15? I don't want to discourage you but there is not a way to build a SW tank cheap, especially a reef. It also takes a lot of patience when getting it started. The pay off is enormous though. If your determined, take it slow and buy your equipment a piece at a time. Look for bargains at yard sales or craigs list. Read up on setting up and maintaining a SW system. Visit this forum often and follow some of the threads in here. You'll run across a lot of issues and answers you never thought of.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL Flake! You seem a little discouraging. Salt isn't all that expensive if you buy in bulk. You can get a 160g bucket worth of IO for only $50..... Clownfish aren't that expensive either.....they are only around $15-$20...Pellets are like $4 for almost a years worth to a clown. I agree that he should research, but you are just really discouraging him and thats not what this forum is about, we are supposed to encourage the right behaviour and he has it, don't dicourage him....
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
yeah but if you're only wanting to get into a hobby for nemo and then discover it's work means an uncared for tank. I just think its wrong trying to look for a cheap way just to have nemo.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
yeah but if you're only wanting to get into a hobby for nemo and then discover it's work means an uncared for tank. I just think its wrong trying to look for a cheap way just to have nemo.
I agree Flake.

Cody, I think it's great that you're interested in having reef tank with a Nemo fish. It's just not something you can through together fast and cheap. You need to work your way into it and gain knowledge in the process. I have seen quite a few new people posting in here who have just jumped in to the hobby blind and are having all kinds of problems maintaining their tanks and keeping their livestock healthy. If your tank becomes more problematic and work then chances are you'll get discouraged and lose any enjoyment in the hobby.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetshannon
I am really new, too. Just bought my tank yesterday....and it will be 2 months until I can afford my lights and rock! It is VERY expensive and time consuming. Maybe you can spend the time learning (like me) while you save up the money needed to start your saltwater tank. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? It is a good place to start.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
+1 for that flake.

My advice is to spend a year or two doing research. That's what I did and I'm just now taking on the responsibility of SW. If you buy everything brand new, it's going to cost you. There are no CHEAP ways to do it, but you can cut some costs. (buying used stuff or getting cupons)

Edit: Also, if you are going to start SW for the first time, I would recommend getting a larger tank than 29g. More water means more stable parameters. I'm starting out with a 75G lol.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cody, I believe some sound a little discouraging because we have all seen people jump into keeping fish, be it fresh or salty, only to lose interest due to lack of knowledge and therefore it's the fish that suffers. But hey, we all have to start somewhere and everyone here was a beginner at some point. The best advice I could give is to learn from your mistakes. First, I would investigate why your original fish died. The best way to do that is read this forum and read read read, books and online. There are some great articles in this forum on how to get started which will give you information on what type of equipment to research. Like the others stated SW is a slow process and needs to be researched in great detail. I would recommend keeping your tank FW while researching saltwater techniques and equipment. This will give you time to decide exactly what you want and the ability to buy equipment over time. I think we have all jumped in too early at some point and later wished we had done some more research before getting started. I hope you do not get discouraged if this is something you really want to do, but keep in mind SW will be so much more rewarding if you take the time to do it right. Good luck to you!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the costs of maintaining a SW discouraged me from setting up one of my new tanks as salty.

I'd say keep the tank you have as FW and do like the others have said, think about and research the salty side.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com