Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd agree with going FW again (just throw out those dang chemicals, you don't need them).

The only way to get a cheap reef tank is to inherit one so unless you have a relative with one and they're about to kick the bucket, I'd say to go FW and start researching. I spent well over a year researching salt water before I took the plunge and still learn a few new things everyday.

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
Cody, don't be tempted by "pretty salt water fishies"! They are A TON OF WORK, AND UPSTART COSTS ARE INSANE. Def. not gonna be doable on a 15 yr. olds budget!!! now...what you need to do is FIRST, find some FRESHWATER fish your interested in...you should start cycling the tank....mmmm....NOW...after you've cleaned it out...in about two weeks or so you can start adding fish...I can help, give suggestions, etc. if you message me...

RWaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you want to do SW, then do it. Talk to your parents, make sure they know the cost of start up, and upkeep. (Who knows you could be the son of a business mogul)
If they are in agreement to be half owners, then do it together. Make sure you start big around 50-60gal. Go FOWLR, take your time and do it right. Make it a family thing. Once you move away from home you can go it alone and start reefing. Just remember to go slow.
I blame Craig AND his stupid List.
jessicasmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Look on craigslist and/or places like your local newspaper and ebay for used tanks just to get a feel for what it costs to start up a SW/Reef.

Like anything in life don't rush into it blindly. Set up your FW tank, keep reading and doing research on salt water set ups and in 6 months or so start saving the money.

Last thing the young (or old farts like me) like to hear is to start out by taking little steps.
JPKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
Fish R friends, not food!

You should do alot more research! The questions that were originally asked show that no research has been done at this point. The thing that strikes me is that you dont know why a whole tank of fish died. Freshwater fish are much easier than salt in most cases. Also, make sure you know the costs. I am not against it, just dont go into a saltwater tank thinking that you can skimp on things and get good results. You cant do that with fresh or salt. When you have done some research, then the questions should sound more like "do I really need a skimmer""Are these fish compatable""Whats the best way to cycle". Not "how can I do this cheap so I can get a pretty fish"?.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com