R/O, D/I, and ozonated water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.. I have a water question :)

I wanted to find a prebottled way to buy water for my micronanoreef. I saw at the store some drinking water which is reverse osmosis, deionized, AND ozonated (all three). Now I have read on the forums that r/o and d/i are good, but I didn't find anything really about ozonated water. Will the ozonated part be ok, or will it harm my corals?

Thanks so much for the help.

Isn't that one of the latest cure-all's for cancer? Injecting ozone into water? Don't know enough about it just to say that the term 'snake oil' jumps to mind. I like my O's either in two's so I can breathe em or ones so I can drink them. Menage A' Trois .. heheheheh... I think not thank you

Ozone, like a uv, will kill everything it comes in contact with in the water. I never saw ozonized water bottled, but it should be OK.
Running ozone on a tank is not a new technology. It's been around at least 20 yrs. I tried it, but didn't like the results I got.

I would just go with RO/DI water, how you get it is up to you. I personally have a unit and make my own water. Buying it locally is too expensive, though I use 30-45g per week not counting PWCs.

Yeah.. I understand that.. I only use like a gallon a week though.. I have a very small tank (2 gallons). I am only concerned that the ozonated part might damage my corals..

As I said. I would use RO/DI water. If you don't know what the ozonated water will do to your tank don't chance it and just get ro/di water.

When ozone is injected into water, it breaks down or dissipates in a few seconds. Any bottled water that was ozonated won't have any ozone still present in it. I don't know how much, if any, better it is than RO/DI, but I don't see it being worse or harmful in any way.

Back
Top Bottom