Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

R/O or Tap Purifier for Newbie?

getting things together now! Gone for a new tank (35UK Gal) & now I come onto the water side of things:

I have just read an article in the latest Practical fishkeeping & for the sake of copyright it roughly says that a R/O isn't nessasary & that a API Tapwater Purifier is more than enough, anybody got any thoughts on that?

Better still anybody got one/used one? can it be used on an outside tap?

I think with my turnover of 9 gallons for a 25% WC this should be enough? PLus this unit doesn't produce waste so I'll be using 9 gallons to make 9 gallons?

Add to that I'm on a water meter here so for every 9 gallons produced using a R/O unit I'll be looking at using about 45 gallons of tap water!

Here's a link to one in the UK, I can't find the manufacturers website though for more details:

http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk/itemsviewer.asp?ID=218&type=

(EDIT) seems like you'll have to cut n' paste the link above if yu wan to see what I'm on about!

Cheers Shelton.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

1. Are you able to access a water report for where you live? Some places have really good tapwater and don't need to do anything.

2. You can also use your RO/DI unit for drinking water.

3. You should try to find someone who actually has this unit. The filters may need to be replaced often, and they may be expensive.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSpirit

1. Are you able to access a water report for where you live? Some places have really good tapwater and don't need to do anything.

2. You can also use your RO/DI unit for drinking water.

3. You should try to find someone who actually has this unit. The filters may need to be replaced often, and they may be expensive.
1. Don't think so? although tbh i wouldn't know hopw to find out anyway?

2. Yes did know this, but its not important enough to us to be factor ( any unit I get would have to be outside)

3. Well the unit is about £40 & the replacement carts are £20, these should last 50-150 gallons, so that makes it on average £20 per 5 months usaage for ME at 10gallons per fortnight, I think the water bill would be a lot higher for approx 225 gallons of water used in the R/O method for the same average?

Cheers Shelton.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to chime in... most of us here in UK are on water meters and it's just not practical to use RO units with all that waste water.

I think after the initial fill you may well get up to 6 months out of a single cart, so I'd say it's worth it to save on those **** water bills.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Check out this thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=26724

Some people vouch for this unit, but the author's problem could be potentiated by the unit, as he had higher readings of nitrates/phosphates after using the purifier than plain old tapwater. Of course, it could be that his filter just needed to be changed.

Another option could be to get a 10 gallon water container and fill it up every month at a water store or RO/DI station.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know here in the states, you can usually contact your water company for a pretty detailed analysis of the city tap water.
Dunno about the UK...and obviously anyone with well water would have to get thier water tested independently...and that's no guarantee that it won't change due to fertilizer runoff during the year.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks to all those that have replied, I've ordered a Tap Water Purifier tonight, so hopefully that will be here in time for the weekend when I pick the new tank up

Cheers Shelton.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com