Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

R sumps neccesary in order to have a great reef tank?

I am not familiar with a sumps and would like to know are they needed, or just an option.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, they are not needed. They just make life a lot easier, especially with bigger tanks. I put my heater, skimmer, carbon, etc... down there in order to keep them out of the main tank.

They also add more water volume to your system which is a good thing. More water is always a good thing as it gives you a bigger margin of error incase you screw something up (water parameters change more slowly with more water).

Old 11-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
We have a few articles in our articles area that will help give you a more general overview of sumps and what they are good for.

You dont NEED a sump but many people find that once they install one on a tank they will never setup another tank with out one.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's a good way to "clean up" the look of thetank. You don't need to see some of the equipment. I don't use one.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:45 AM   #5

So if I put in a sump and put all of my equipment in it, the only thing that I would need in my main tank would be PHs for water movement? :|
Old 11-13-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So if I put in a sump and put all of my equipment in it, the only thing that I would need in my main tank would be PHs for water movement?
That and the return from the sump... Pretty clean looking, huh?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is my understanding
Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #8

When u r talking about a return, what in general r u referring to? I'm new to sw and am trying to gain all the knowledge that I can.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When u r talking about a return, what in general r u referring to? I'm new to sw and am trying to gain all the knowledge that I can.
You have to have a way to return the water back to the tank from the sump pump. This would be your return. You can easily make your return out of PVC and hang it on the back of your tank.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The key to this is properly sizing your return.

When sizing your returnpump you need to calculate the head height you will be dealing with. This is the height from the top of your tank to the pump. Usually if the sump is under the stand this is 3'-4'. Various makers of pumps will have flow charts of their pumps showing how each pump performs at the various head pressure. For example a 1200GPH pump might only push 1000GPH at 3' head and only 950GPH at 4' head.

If you get a pump(s) large enough then you wont need powerheads in the main tank. Of course after you aquascape you might find some spots that are not getting the flow you had expected and you need t do some accessory flow via a PH.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, reef, reef tank, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com