Racoon Butterfly and Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello forum...my Yellow Tang has finally moved to the main tank, now I need to figure out what to get for the final two fish. I found a gorgeous Racoon Butterflyfish (juvenile) yesterday at the LFS and put a hold on it.

I *think* it should have sufficient room in my tank (75g, 80#LR) and be more or less compatible with the current piscine occupants (angel, 2 clowns, blenny, gramma and tang), but what about my Serpent Star? Even though she hides under a rock most of the time, I have read that butterflies like to snack at "benthic" invertebrates (whatever that means), so I suspect my crabs and snails might be vulnerable at times, but does this mean I should move the Serpent Star over to the fuge to protect her from the Racoon? Any cautions to observe when moving a reclusive starfish?

TIA,
--Aquabear

I am not so sure if you have enough room. IMO you have reached the max bioload of a 75gallon (Giving all animals room to grow is important? Over time they will fill out the tank and a raccoon can get quite some size on it. Might also have problems with the yellow tang going after a fish of similar color and shape.

Oh crap, I didn't even think about the similarity in color! I was thinking the markings of the Racoon would make it different enough. The Angel and the Tang have similar shades of yellow, especially the tail, so I didn't even give it a second thought. Thanks for reminding me.

Back
Top Bottom