rainwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is rain water and/or melted snow a viable source of water for my aquarium. The though just occured to me this morning as I gazed out on the winter wonderland. I'm very frustrated with the poor quality water coming out of my tap and my budget forbids me from getting a ro/di unit. This new idea makes sense to me, but perhaps you can think of things I overlooked (probably obvious). My fish and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Tell you a trick I did with my boys. Get a large white bowl and fill it with snow. Take it in the house and let it melt. You will never eat snow again. :D

How big is your tank? If it is not big just get it from walmart or somewhere. If not RO/DI units are under $100 on ebay and Christmas will be here soon. :wink:

I have used rainwater when I wanted to soften by mixing with tap. I collected it off the winter cover of the swimming pool. It was rather yellow from leaves and such, so I ran a filter in it for a few days with activated carbon. It became crystal clear and I saved it in water bottles till I needed it. I had no problems with it and oddly enough, the pH was not acidic, but about 7.2.

Back
Top Bottom