Raising pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
So, with my new T5 setup I'm losing lots of water from evaporation. Because of this, I'm adding alot more water. All of my water is of course, low pH while I want my tank to be over 8. Other than using bottled chemicals, how else can I safely raise the pH in my tank? I've heard baking powder, is there anything else?

Topping off with freshwater shouldn't affect you pH, and if it does it should only be very slight and it will go back up to what is was quickly.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that is baked in the oven (baking it turns it into sodium carbonate) will help raise your pH but it will also raise your alkalinity. Straight baking soda will slightly drop your pH along with raising your alk. DO NOT USE BAKING POWDER.

I would have to say that's a testing error. It's almost impossible for a saltwater system to have the pH that low. What brand test kit are you using?
I see your in PA, so at this time of year the windows are closed tight, which can raise the co2 levels of the air in the house. Higher co2 levels can lead to a lower pH. You can try pointing a powerhead at the surface of your tank to help promote gas exchange and if you have a protein skimmer you can try running the intake airline on the skimmer to the outside somehow to get fresh outside air into the system.

I do have my powerhead pointed at the surface. That is a good idea with the skimmer's intake...I'll look into that.

I was unaware of such with the pH tests, I run API test kits. I was under the assumption that my pH was the issue that resulted in my recent die off... Now I'm left with copper being the culprit... Thanks :)

Im having a similar problem with PH. I use some crushed coral in my fuge and I've been using a liquid seachem PH supplement but it hovers around 7.9 and I would prefer 8.3 or so.

Any ideas?

Crushed coral is useless as far as doing anything for pH. For the crushed coral to start to dissolve and do any buffering the pH has to be around 7.3 or lower. You won't see pH that low in a typical saltwater system. All it's doing in your sump is gathering detritus.
7.9 pH is perfectly fine and using chemicals alone to raise it might throw your chemistry out of whack.

Sounds like time for a PWC.

I just realized that the major die off of my inverts I had probably started a mini cycle that I didn't catch when I tested. That would explain it, CO2 from the cycle. I'll readjust my powerhead when I get home from work as well as stick my skimmer's air intake out the window.

Back
Top Bottom