Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

raising ph w baaking soda?

hello all
i would like to get some advice on a question about raising the ph in my tank.
right now im using silica sand in my tank and want to raise it so i can add fish
i heard you can use baking soda to raise it .

any suggestions on how?
can i use pickling lime at walmart
and if so how do i use it correctly
another thing - if i put some crushed coral in the bottom of my cascade 300 hang on power filter will it help to some degree to stabilize the ph?

thanks all

Old 10-08-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) alone will not raise the pH in a marine tank. It will actually lower it while adding buffer. Washing soda (sodium carbonate) will raise the pH while adding buffer, but if you use too much, you can have drastic results.

What is your pH of your tank? When are you measuring it? It is normal for the pH to be below a target of 8.1 -8.2 in the evening. Try measuring the pH right before the lights go out and see what it is.

Quote:
can i use pickling lime at walmart
I assume you are wanting to use it as kalkwasser for your Ca/Alk loving inverts. Sure, you can use it. I like Ms. Wages, but Balls is also supposed to be good.

Quote:
and if so how do i use it correctly
In a nutshell, it will need to be mixed in a mixing container with fresh water (preferably RO/DI) and let sit overnight so that the undissolved portion of the lime will settle to the bottom of your mixing container. Then you need to siphon off the clear liquid (not the solids at the bottom) and slowly drip that clear liquid you siphoned off into your sump. All you want to do is try to replace the exact amount of water that is removed via evaporation. Do a search on this forum for "kalkwasser" and see what you come up with. There is a ton of information on it.

Do you have any Alk/Ca demanding inverts in your tank right now? If not, you don't need to even thing about dripping kalk yet. You also need to get an Alk/Ca test kit before you begin dosing Kalk as well to check those levels.

Quote:
another thing - if i put some crushed coral in the bottom of my cascade 300 hang on power filter will it help to some degree to stabilize the ph?
Your profile says you have a 90 gallon. I doubt adding CC into a power filter will do much to buffer that much water unfortunately.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How can baking soda lower pH? I ask because i'm still new to SW, but I've been doing freshwater for a while, specifically planted freshwater, high tech setup with injected CO2.
In the plant forums we regularly recommend baking soda to increase Kh/alkalinity for people with soft water, as a dKh of 3 is needed to safely inject CO2. Kh is related to pH...if you add Kh, your pH will go up.

How is this not hte same in a SW tank?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How can baking soda lower pH?
I have no idea behind the chemistry behind it. I hate chemistry. I just know that it lowers the pH in a marine aquarium. People that want to raise their KH in a marine aquarium typically use a 6:1 ratio of baking soda and washing soda. The basking soda negates the raising effects of the washing soda so the rise or fall of pH is minimal to none.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com