Raising salinity level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezlenton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I have a 185lt salt water tank with a 30 ltr sump. My salinity level is currently 1.021
What is the best and safest way to increase to 1.023.
Thanks

Thanks guys, from your experience, what would be the ideal salinity reading for a coral & fish reef ?

carey said:
You can use salt water as your top off water, that would be a nice gradual way of adjusting it. :)

The best way to do it as long as it's not way off. I try to keep mine between 1.024 and 1.025

dave333539 said:
The best way to do it as long as it's not way off. I try to keep mine between 1.024 and 1.025

Thanks for that. Mine is at 1.022 at the moment.

Should the concentration of the salt water being added be a little bit stronger to raise the level? My readings are currently 1.023. I want to adjust it up to a 1.025

No. It should be exactly the same and it will raise it. You don't want to pour water in the tank with an extremely high salt content and it hit the fish before it mixes in. Remember, when water evaporates, the salt stays. You top off with fresh water usually, but adding water with the correct salinity will raise the level gradually and safely.

Ok so add salt water that is the same salinity as the water in the tank currently instead of fresh will eventually raise salinity in the whole tank. Correct? If so, got it. If not, huh?

Back
Top Bottom