raising specific gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pcdebb said:
its a 44 gallon, and the back i have is for 50 gallons so i'm working on emptying the bag as I still had alot left. it's getting there :)

Yeah , u should have a lil left when your finished. I just got a bucket myself as I found the bag would start to get clumpy due to moisture in the air.

:D be sure you calibrated your refractometer properly also. Its easiest to buy a bottle this stuff pictured below. Calibrating solution of 1.026 or 35ppt to be exact.
i may have to order this online as none of my stores that I was able to check today have it. I would guess they have their own stash of it to calibrate theirs. one of the guys told me that as long as I dont bang it around I shouldnt knock it off track. I'm gonna baby this thing like a fragile piece of china lol

pcdebb said:
i may have to order this online as none of my stores that I was able to check today have it. I would guess they have their own stash of it to calibrate theirs. one of the guys told me that as long as I dont bang it around I shouldnt knock it off track. I'm gonna baby this thing like a fragile piece of china lol

Well read the instructions also. Most tell you how to originally calibrate it with distilled or RO/DI. The salinity solution is just an easier more accurate way.

Btw i ordered mine from Marine Depot i believe. Also i wouldnt trust it until its calibrated. It gets knocked around quite alot on it journey from the manufacturer.

Mine came with no instructions whatsoever. I'm gonna see if I can get some info on calibrating myself

pcdebb said:
Mine came with no instructions whatsoever. I'm gonna see if I can get some info on calibrating myself

Look inside the case under the foam padding, thats where mine were hidden.

nope. they want me to do this the hard way lol

i dont have calibrating solution, but i'm reading I can do this with distilled water. Is this correct?

pcdebb said:
nope. they want me to do this the hard way lol

i dont have calibrating solution, but i'm reading I can do this with distilled water. Is this correct?

You can but unless you have the instructions to your specific device then explaining it could be impossible also distilled is not the preferred method and leaves room for error. Rodi would be better.

Short way of explaining it is to put 3 drops or so on the glass and close it. Hold up to the light to see the reading and adjust the screw until the level is on the baseline reading line at the very bottom of the scale. Usually under the scale. That calibrates it to match the water at a Sg of 1.000. Obviously if you calibrated at 1.026 with calibrating solution your reading will be more accurate.

On mine the difference between distilled and calibrating solution is about .001 which can be significant.

Hopefully that helps some.

i drink only bottled water and buy it by the case. I saw this on the label:

PURIFIED BY REVERSE OSMOSIS; FILTERED AND OZONATED TO ENSURE QUALITY

Is this the same thing? When I refill my 5 gallon jugs for my water machine, it says something similar with the reverse osmosis

pcdebb said:
i drink only bottled water and buy it by the case. I saw this on the label:

PURIFIED BY REVERSE OSMOSIS; FILTERED AND OZONATED TO ENSURE QUALITY

Is this the same thing? When I refill my 5 gallon jugs for my water machine, it says something similar with the reverse osmosis

It is not 0 tds Ro/di. Dont be con'd into thinking it is.

Back
Top Bottom