raising specific gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all :brows:

my new fowlr tank is almost ready, but the specific gravity is a little low, testing around 1.012 to 1.016. what is the best way in raising it? can I gradually add instant ocean directly in the tank?

Its best to dissolve in a container with some water. Never add directly to tank with anything living inside.

If you have time you can just add saltwater as top off instead of freshwater to bring it up slower and not risk raising it too high.

I don't think he has anything inside. He said about to start. If there's nothing alive inside just add to the tank.

Its best to dissolve in a container with some water. Never add directly to tank with anything living inside.

If you have time you can just add saltwater as top off instead of freshwater to bring it up slower and not risk raising it too high.
I would do as schism suggested' mix it in a bucket. sometimes its very hard to get all the salt to dissolve if you pour it directly into you tank Also you could make the tank very high and then you would have to remove tank water add fresh water and so on till you got it back down. It should be 1.026

I don't have anything in the tank right now, so I've been slowly adding it by dropping it directly in the flow of the powerhead

I must not be doing something right. I'm steady adding salt and I cant get it over 1.016. I took out some water, mixed the salt (ALOT of salt) and put that back in and i still cant raise it.

what am I missing here?

Are you adding enough? I use instant ocean which mixes at 1/2 cup per US gal water. If you're at 1.016 and need to get to 1.024 (a nice math ratio) you will need 1/2 cup per 3 gals. On a 44 gal tank with rocks you might need as much as 10 cups salt. Not a small amount.
Of course I would start with maybe a quarter of that just to check the change. How much have you been adding?

Ingy said:
Are you adding enough? I use instant ocean which mixes at 1/2 cup per US gal water. If you're at 1.016 and need to get to 1.024 (a nice math ratio) you will need 1/2 cup per 3 gals. On a 44 gal tank with rocks you might need as much as 10 cups salt. Not a small amount.
Of course I would start with maybe a quarter of that just to check the change. How much have you been adding?

Sorry. "as much as 5 cups salt"
Math error

Yup, just add the salt to the tank since you're still starting up. Take salinity measurements half an hour after adding the salt to give it enough time to disperse.

Honestly I'm starting to think my hydrometer is crap. I added a larger dose tonite and there's just no explanation why it didn't go up even a little bit. Gonna take a sample to the store and see about getting a refreactometer

Thats why a couple of us told you to mix it in buckets.You have better control if you couldn't get the first bucket right then you would know something was wrong and you could check your hydrometer now if the tank is to high you have to reverse and start removing water and all that salt will be wasted

I know I'm gonna make mistakes so I'm not bothered if I wasted the salt. I'd rather make mistakes now while there's no fish than to risk killing them. The last few times I was doing bucket adding instead of direct adding

well your right thats how you learn. I remember when I first started I did the same thing and couldn't get the salt to dissovle.

Hydrometers can really be a piece of crap, they are hit and miss and then depend on being clean and free of salt buildup. Also any bubble under the swing arm with throw off the reading.

I would highly suggest a refrectometer, not only are they very accurate but incredible easy to use and maintain. Way worth it.

I scored a refractometer today for $60. the store tested my water and it proves that my hydrometer is best used for something else other than testing my water lol. just tested it at home at it confirms Im right at 1.020

pcdebb said:
I scored a refractometer today for $60. the store tested my water and it proves that my hydrometer is best used for something else other than testing my water lol. just tested it at home at it confirms Im right at 1.020

:D be sure you calibrated your refractometer properly also. Its easiest to buy a bottle this stuff pictured below. Calibrating solution of 1.026 or 35ppt to be exact.

Attachments

• image-3959011814.jpg
    image-3959011814.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 39
Not sure but how big is your tank ? For my 55g it took whole bag of salt. And I was like yourself slowly adding it and testing ...... It takes quite a bit to raise your SG when adding it to a fresh tank, after I would suggest mixing your water overnight and making sure its correct before adding as it can stress fish and possibly kill inverts

its a 44 gallon, and the back i have is for 50 gallons so i'm working on emptying the bag as I still had alot left. it's getting there :)

Back
Top Bottom