Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

raising specific gravity

Hello all

my new fowlr tank is almost ready, but the specific gravity is a little low, testing around 1.012 to 1.016. what is the best way in raising it? can I gradually add instant ocean directly in the tank?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its best to dissolve in a container with some water. Never add directly to tank with anything living inside.

If you have time you can just add saltwater as top off instead of freshwater to bring it up slower and not risk raising it too high.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think he has anything inside. He said about to start. If there's nothing alive inside just add to the tank.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Its best to dissolve in a container with some water. Never add directly to tank with anything living inside.

If you have time you can just add saltwater as top off instead of freshwater to bring it up slower and not risk raising it too high.
I would do as schism suggested' mix it in a bucket. sometimes its very hard to get all the salt to dissolve if you pour it directly into you tank Also you could make the tank very high and then you would have to remove tank water add fresh water and so on till you got it back down. It should be 1.026
Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't have anything in the tank right now, so I've been slowly adding it by dropping it directly in the flow of the powerhead
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I must not be doing something right. I'm steady adding salt and I cant get it over 1.016. I took out some water, mixed the salt (ALOT of salt) and put that back in and i still cant raise it.

what am I missing here?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you adding enough? I use instant ocean which mixes at 1/2 cup per US gal water. If you're at 1.016 and need to get to 1.024 (a nice math ratio) you will need 1/2 cup per 3 gals. On a 44 gal tank with rocks you might need as much as 10 cups salt. Not a small amount.
Of course I would start with maybe a quarter of that just to check the change. How much have you been adding?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Are you adding enough? I use instant ocean which mixes at 1/2 cup per US gal water. If you're at 1.016 and need to get to 1.024 (a nice math ratio) you will need 1/2 cup per 3 gals. On a 44 gal tank with rocks you might need as much as 10 cups salt. Not a small amount.
Of course I would start with maybe a quarter of that just to check the change. How much have you been adding?
Sorry. "as much as 5 cups salt"
Math error
Old 06-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, just add the salt to the tank since you're still starting up. Take salinity measurements half an hour after adding the salt to give it enough time to disperse.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly I'm starting to think my hydrometer is crap. I added a larger dose tonite and there's just no explanation why it didn't go up even a little bit. Gonna take a sample to the store and see about getting a refreactometer

Tags
gravity, spec, specific gravity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com