Raising water level in DT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscadoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks. So.i just upgraded my lighting and im made up with the tmc ilumnair but now im running my tank with no lid and tbh it looks crap from the top. I was hoping to gather some ideas to raise my water level in the display tank. It was predrilled when i bought it, but the guy i had it from was clearly a little sloppy with his handy work.. which i didnt mind so much with the lid on. Are there any good guides for a diy weir or should i just put 2 elbows on the overflow pipes on my next pwc (tomorrow). Will it make alot of difference with regards to noise levels. I could probably get a little higher by turning up my return pump but its less forgiving with the daily top ups and i fear i will end up running my pump dry one day.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1449306482290.jpg
    1449306482290.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 69
How would it be unsafe if i put 2 on.. not argueing just wondering still learning. Is it down to evaporation and eventually the sump level dropping?

Wouldnt only adding one increase chances of the sump overflowing if a pump fails. Cause the water volume will need to be increased to i increase the water level in the DT otherwise the sump would run too low for the pumps. So if yhe pump failed an increased volume of water would run into the sump causing overflow

I know what you mean now..i didnt mean to create an outlet parallel to the water..i have 2 holes drilled for my overflow so would require 2 elbows so the both face up..i couldnt understand why i would leave one hole as it is and one with an elbow.. sorry.. pics prob not the best

Will it be excessively noisy?

I don't think it will get louder?

I keep my marine tanks partially covered to allow proper gas exchanges and have some control over evap and jumpers.
I always keep the back section and remove the front that would be the flipper panel....

Cool thanks for your advice. What sort of pipe adhesive can you recommend. Ill have to get a n elbow to insert into the overflow ive got already i dont fancy taking parts off.

Look for the two different types of elbows; 'street' and 'common'.
One will slide over the pvc if there is any coming from bulkhead(common).
The 'street' will slide into the pvc or possibly even the bulkhead.
Since the fitting is completely in tank I try not to glue it.
Possibly compression/friction will work alone as I have seen this many times.

Alright ill take a tape measure with me and see if i can find one to slide into the bulkhead. There is no pipe protruding into the tank

Managee to get some "street" elbows pack of 2 for £1 and a bit of pvc pipe to connect. Cant grumble for £2 very tight fit almost took a bit of persuasion but thats better i suppose just hope they hold up cause ill be left in a mess if they manage to come loose

Just need to clean up that silicone.

Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• 1449324996028.jpg
    1449324996028.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 62
Now for my next question... how can i get rid of that glue.. the guy who had the tank before me just put duct tape round the top of the glass cause the water level was so low.. now im stuck with this....

Sorry...

Attachments

• 1449325468476.jpg
    1449325468476.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 61
Scratch that.. nevermind vinegar a razor blade and a bit of scrubbing with filter floss and its gone

Hey coral bandit, just wanna say thanks again. All set up now, ive increased my tank volume by almost 30 litres and its running quieter than ever cause my sump level is much higher so less of the constant dripping. Im made up. Thanks

Hey coral bandit, just wanna say thanks again. All set up now, ive increased my tank volume by almost 30 litres and its running quieter than ever cause my sump level is much higher so less of the constant dripping. Im made up. Thanks

Early bird got the worm this am!

Back
Top Bottom