Ramping up 110G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfutao

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

I've had a 110G Saltwater for several years now. It has 1 powerhead, fluval fx5, dry rock of various sorts, and live sand mixed with beach sand. My sole resident is a Snoopy, a dog face puffer who I've had for 2 years. I'd like to slowly start converting it into a reef tank, adding a protein skimmer, more suitable lights, and replacing the dry rock with live rock.

Looking for some thoughts from the experts on a couple of things.

Adding a sump is not desirable since I have no-where to put it. If I don't have a sump what should I be considering?

Thanks

Peterjohn

What do you want to accomplish if you could have a sump?

It would be to have better filtration and water quality. As I start adding things I would worry that my filtration and management of water quality as I have it now is not up to par.

One of the main purposes of a sump is added water volume which is more forgiving of water quality issues. A refugium on the other hand is for added water volume and the exportation of excessive nutrients. I have a few links at home I`ll post when I get there.

Also, the "dry rock" you say you have.... if it's been in the tank for months, or "Several years" as you say, it is no longer dry rock. It's live rock now.

What are your current nitrate readings? Just curious as to the current water quality without a skimmer and the live rock now in the tank.

Got a pic of the tank you can share? I'm really curious about the rock and whether you should keep it and add to it with some prettier stuff.

I'd recommend a pound to a pound and a half of rock for every gallon of water.

Another thing, that puffer will not allow for hermits crabs, snails, shrimp or other clean-up crew members which are usually in a reef tank.

How bad do you want a reef tank, and wouldja consider trading in the puffer???

The dry rock has been in there for close to 4 years. Not sure of what kinds of rock - picked it up at a local quarry.

The puffer has cohabited with shrimp and hermit crabs (they were introduced as food) for some time now. He does not eat them, but rather hovers above them and watches them with curiosity. He pretty much sticks to eating silver sides and formula 2.

Not sure of the nitrate readings - I have not tested nitrates for a month or so and have ordered another set of test kit.

pict0074d.jpg

Also, the "dry rock" you say you have.... if it's been in the tank for months, or "Several years" as you say, it is no longer dry rock. It's live rock now.

What are your current nitrate readings? Just curious as to the current water quality without a skimmer and the live rock now in the tank.

Got a pic of the tank you can share? I'm really curious about the rock and whether you should keep it and add to it with some prettier stuff.

I'd recommend a pound to a pound and a half of rock for every gallon of water.

Another thing, that puffer will not allow for hermits crabs, snails, shrimp or other clean-up crew members which are usually in a reef tank.

How bad do you want a reef tank, and wouldja consider trading in the puffer???

I'm not the one to help determine if that quarry rock is good for a SW tank or not. Maybe the PH readings might tell you something. Dunno.

At first look, the rock could be a lot more porous than that quarry rock. Nooks and crannies is what you want in live rock. Large surface area that isn't necessarily heavy works best. Those nooks and crannies harbor beneficial life in a SW tank. Look up base rock. Cheaper, has nooks and crannies, and will become live rock in little time if added to the current setup - and maybe with a plan to replace the existing rock over time.

Check out (Hang on back) protein skimmers and read up on powerheads for water movement. Also, read up on T-5 lighting. I hear good things about it.

Back
Top Bottom