random Q&A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 28 jbj hqi and i have two return with maxi 1200's and a korilia 425 ...

now the question is do you need to turn any of them off like the korilia so you have less flow at night for your fish to sleep or is this just a stupid question....if so sorry lol....

i have a 28 jbj hqi and i have two return with maxi 1200's and a korilia 425 ...

now the question is do you need to turn any of them off like the korilia so you have less flow at night for your fish to sleep or is this just a stupid question....if so sorry lol....

I've never heard of people turning of power heads or current at night. Picture it in nature i don't think the ocean just stops moving at night.

Well... Actually Carey, whom I look up to a lot, does turn (1) of her PH's off at night to give her fish "a break."

I haven't tried it yet, as today is the first day I got my 2nd powerhead, but I'm not against the idea.

Well look at it like this the tide moves in and the tide moves out it is know that the ocean is calmer at night then the day so I don't think it would hurt to shut one off just put it on a timer so u don't have to worry about it

On the down side I think it might wear out ur Ph faster with it switching on and off IMO

I turn off a 1400gph powerhead at night in my 125g and on occassion as well. I already have a 1400gph going 24/7 and the return of about 1200 gph so it can be quite busy in my tank. LOL My clowns do love to wate surf the powerhead on the right so I do put it on for them alot, but it just seems like too much flow if you know what I mean when everything is running its about 3600gph going on in there. LOL

Yeah I have about 1200 gph right now in my 55 and I am going to put a 1450 gph powerhead in it as well so I will have some waves lol

I do the same thing at night I turn 1 of my Koralias off, so the fishes can rest for 8 hours, then the next day it turns automatically.
I have 2 Koralias 550 and the flow from my filter that is 350.

I turn off my vortech at night. Only running the return pump. The oceans do actually calm down some at night as tides come and go.

The more gentle flow and current ,the better..I don't turn any of mine off...If the fish need "a break" then they're dying IMO.My fish never stop moving from about 7 am till 10 pm.Then they find there place in the tank they can go to and hang out for a few hours..

thanks everyone...... i was thinking that it might have been a dumb question but i knew the ocean calms down so i just figured but i will try turning the korilia off at night on a timer ....

Imo it depends on the amount of flow in your tank. As carey stated, she has more than ample flow, she could get by with 1 ph, but for some people that are running less flow, leaving them on isnt an issue.

Back
Top Bottom