Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Then is it really a problem?
Isn't that the idea behind an ATS or refugium, to have the algae consume the nitrates and phosphates before they reach detectable levels?
Does that then mean that you cannot trust your water tests as well because you are employing an ATS?

Not trying to be difficult Sniper, but in a way you are contradicting yourself.
either algae is a good way to export excess nutrients or it isn't.
If it is, as evidenced by the use refugiums and ATS, then the only concern here is the aesthetics of the algae in the main display and preventing it from impacting corals, correct?

I've seen ATS setups that grow pounds of algae in a weeks time, so are you implying that those setups have horrible water quality as well, or is it only whenever the algae grows where we want it to that it is ok.

I agree that the presence of that much healthy algae warrants a closer look at water quality, but does it really matter beyond personal preference where the algae grows, as long as it is not encroaching on the corals and other livestock in the tank.
^+1^ as my tank looks like crap also!
I'm getting covered in calurpae I don't think I ever added?
At least not this species(racemorsa) I yank it out and realize that their is reason it is growing(most probably not good) but it is still exporting something that is in excess or I clearly seem to lack control over?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #22
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It obviously is a problem. The bta split. The algae is a sign of the issue at hand in this case, rather than a solution.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
It obviously is a problem. The bta split. The algae is a sign of the issue at hand in this case, rather than a solution.
No, you're making that assumption.
From everything I have seen and read, an anemone splitting is;
1) natural means of propagation
2) usually happens when conditions are good
3) can also happen as a reaction to stress, but not as frequently

so you are making an assumption when you offer stress as the only possible reason for the anemone splitting when in reality the exact opposite could be the case. The OP's water parameters could be ideal thanks to the algae growing and the bubbletip split because it is healthy and deemed the environment one safe to reproduce in.

In perusing other forums, it would appear they split more often when conditions are good rather than a reaction to stress.

My advice to the OP is to do more research, double check water quality, and don't stress the algae if it's not a problem, and then research at various sites and sources to get a more complete answer.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There is a difference between having some algae and that much. It is really indicating a problem that will need addressed.
In such a case, I would want to ensure using ro/di water (distilled is a better option than tap if ro/di not available), look at how much one is feeding, large water changes to bring nutrient levels down.
I don't want to see someone else out of the hobby after a tank is overwhelmed by algae. If extreme enough, the use of the liquid phosphate removers might be necessary. This is something I have become more understanding of after Melev's demonstration on it. That said one still has to be careful with such a product and follow the instructions carefully.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whoa that blew up like crazy!!! Alright so I read a lot and most of it is about the hair grass algae yes I do have a huge problem with it I'm not going to lie every time I clean the rocks I pull about 5 pounds of algae out I've tried clean up crews and everything nothing seems to work it does make me wry angry as it looks ugly in my opinion I've never been able to get rid of it but it was worse about 6 months ago it's starting to slowly die off in my tank it's mostly on my rock and that's what I'm trying to get rid of now I Elena thinking about leaving rocks in freshwater for a couple days to kill it but I have other living creatures like feather dusters hitchhiker anemones (good ones) and a pistol shrimp and I don't want to kill my shrimp even though I never see him he's a cool addition so I'm out of ideas!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fought an algae issue last year due to reusing sand when I moved my tank (I'm pretty certain that was the cause). I did everything to eradicate the algae from feeding very sparingly (a few fish starved) to removing my corals to another tank and light starving the DT. Nothing will get rid of algae, even if it does help prevent NEW algae from growing. The only thing that worked was manual removal. Of course not by me. I bought a hefty CUC with over 70 hermits of different algae eating varieties for about $200.

As for the anemone, the algae itself can be an irritant and may be a causal factor in the splitting. Algae certainly can kill corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have any corals as of now my uncle has a ton that his old decorator crab sniped off and now they grow all over his 90 and he just gives them to me I haven't had any since I got rid of my of lights as they sucked so I want to try with them again but I need to get this algae under control
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #28
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If it`s slowly disapearing I would not change anything. It did not appear overnight and it wont go away over night. Slowly disapearing is a good thing. Eventually it will be all gone. As far as the anenome it could be for bad reasons or good reasons. My experience is that it mostly happens because of stress but whatever reason it is as mentioned above check your lighting and parameters and make sure they are OK and be glad you have two now. Good luck.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you all very much for the help both anemones seem to be doing good they keep moving away from each other I actually have to move the rock due to one moving into the shadows just one thing how exactly do I feed them??? Or do I just let them heal before I feed them? If I do let them heal how do I know when they're ready?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #30
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There is no need to feed a photosynthetic anemone. I would be more hesitant to do so as feeding too large of food can further stress an anemone. They should be getting all the food they need from your lighting, but it needs to be strong, intense lighting. With this being supplied, it will be as happy as a clam.

Tags
bta, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com