Rbta split!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Supra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so last night I went to bed with a single rose bubble tipped anemone this morning I woke up with two RBTA!!! I've never had an anemone split but have heard that it could mean good things and bad things. Will my clown host both of them or only one? Is it good that it split in two??? I'm curious

Not always does it mean a good thing. Alot of times they split because of not so good water quality. Whenever they are stressed they tend to split. It`s always up in the air if the clown will host either one or both. Hopefully all will be OK.

I'm hoping everything will be ok with the two of them now it seems like my clown is jumping from one to the other which I hope he continues to do haha I need to go get my water completely checked last time I went to get it checked they were all out of stuff for the test kits

The thing that actually astounded me was how quick it split! I've never heard of an anemone splitting in one night I always thought it took a course of several days

It was most likely splitting before that as it does take more than a day. That said, splitting is normally a way of trying to preserve the bloodline, in layman's terms. I'd be concerned, wasn't there issues going on in your system recently? A newly set up tank isn't a place for an anemone due to random parameter swings that can occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No the only problem I'm having that I know of is my lights I don't believe my parameters are bad I don't seem to be having any stress they're still eating and everything Im going to take water in again today and see if they can test it

I have a RBTA that split about 18 months ago I think.
All is good and out of the original 2BTA(other is yellow/green) the red was the more settled and healthy appearing one.
The yellow green has had "happy feet" and wondered with little sympathy for others over a year ,but then settled right where the original was.
My water quality is NOT exceptional but probably OK.
The lighting and filter/skimmer are killer!
Never had nems do so well so long!
They are both 7-9 years old as I received the whole set up 2 years ago.

Wow!!! That's amazing my RBTA split and are right next to each other on the same rock... My clown seems to be confused on what to do with the two of them haha but he switches constantly and hides in them both. The RBTA was originally a split off a bigger anemone the size of a foot ball a guy sells about 5 a month to my LFS

Gotta watch the clowns, they can literally beat the small anemones to death. But, clowns will run into dog gone anything, so they will go to both of them.

I mean mine seems gentle he not really in it until you get next to the tank or its night time

That's very true... Before the anemone split it was a good 8-10" in diameter so i was thinking maybe it just split because it got big but idk

What light do you use and how do you run it?
When mine split it never dawned on me it could have been a bad thing?
I thought "I had it going on!".
They are both still doing great and I don't pay much(very little) attention to tank.

I currently use Orbit marine LED lights completely maxed I'm saving up for new LEDs as of now my LFS only has one person that knows how to check every parameter for the water and every time I go in he's never there so I can't ever get tested and I don't have the budget for my own kit either

Wow, is that ever a crapton of green algae! What all is in your CUC?

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Sadly, like previously mentioned, anemone will split from stress. They are sensitive inverts and require stable, pristine water. That much nuisance algae is pointing to a big issues in parameters. Sadly, you'll never get an actual reading since the algae is consuming all of the nitrates. There are two articles in my signature that address algae battles.

Sadly, you'll never get an actual reading since the algae is consuming all of the nitrates.

Then is it really a problem?
Isn't that the idea behind an ATS or refugium, to have the algae consume the nitrates and phosphates before they reach detectable levels?
Does that then mean that you cannot trust your water tests as well because you are employing an ATS?

Not trying to be difficult Sniper, but in a way you are contradicting yourself.
either algae is a good way to export excess nutrients or it isn't.
If it is, as evidenced by the use refugiums and ATS, then the only concern here is the aesthetics of the algae in the main display and preventing it from impacting corals, correct?

I've seen ATS setups that grow pounds of algae in a weeks time, so are you implying that those setups have horrible water quality as well, or is it only whenever the algae grows where we want it to that it is ok.

I agree that the presence of that much healthy algae warrants a closer look at water quality, but does it really matter beyond personal preference where the algae grows, as long as it is not encroaching on the corals and other livestock in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom