Re-adding rock with dead worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhoelter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have major bristleworms in my tank (30g, 2 ocellaris clown, a bit of rock) and last weekend when I was doing some rearranging I pulled out a large rock to kill a bunch of bristleworms. Then I realized I probably shouldn't put the rock right back in after killing em with hot tap water...so I stuck the rock outside my back door. I'm sure there's a bunch of dead worms all in it, but I don't really know of a way to get them out. Any ideas? Or, is it okay to toss the rock back into my tank now?

Thanks,
Jeff

I would put the rock in a container of SW with a PH and heat and wait until the ammonia drops in that container before adding it back to your main. Basically cycle the rock.
Why kill off the worms? They do far more good than bad and you also killed off a lot of other good life on the rock.

OK - I can do that. Thanks for the tip.

It just seems like there's soooo many worms...do I really need THAT many? (probably at least 50 worms with some up to 1-3 inches)

Jeff

The worms will start to die off if they do not have a food source. Chances are, if you have that many, they may be keeping things in check. Do you feed often?

Well, I feed the clownfish, and I don't really worry about overfeeding as I know the worms will eat any excess. Exactly how much and often should I feed two ocellaris clowns?

Thanks,
Jeff

about once a day, to once every other day. If flake food, a small pinch, if frozen, a very small amount.

Back
Top Bottom