Re-beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kosamamama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In college I had a hand in maintaining a large saltwater tank... Now 15 years later I find myself starting one with my 8 year old. We found a great local saltwater store with a gentleman who started us with water and sand from his tanks and suggested what fish to start with. One week in all of our little creatures are thriving! I'm pretty sure our little starter tank is just a stepping stone.. Lol!

So for my question.. Snails... Can saltwater snails invade a tank like freshwater do?

And.. If I began with established water,.. Then replace evaporated water with R.O. Water weekly before doing water changes.. Do I need to test it on my own?

Attachments

• image-1143615399.jpg
    image-1143615399.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 52
Just test the salt levels to make sure they stay stable. Also saltwater snails are a good thing. I have 18 in my 25 gallon tank along with 6 dwarf hermit crabs. They keep you glass and sand clean of algae and left over food. Nerite and nassarius snails are great to have. Be sure to test your r/o water every now and then to insure its getting filtered well.

Snails and crabs make your live amazing in saltwater. Even though you are getting water from your LFS, you should still have a test kit to make sure your parameters don't go off on you.

Thanks! We actually have 7 small crabs, 2 tiny stars, and 4 snails with our black clown, yellow watchman & yellow pistol shrimp! It's an amazingly busy and beautiful little tank!

Back
Top Bottom