Re-cycling biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok we are re-cycling our water because our other water crashed. We got this water from the LFS already cycled tank. I knew that it was going to do like a little min cycle but I do not know what is going on. Ok when we got the water the anmonia was about 1, nitrite 0, ph 8.3, and nitrate about 5. Ok now it has been sitting for about 2 weeks now and the water par now are anmonia 0, ph 8.1(lights have been off because we have cyobactira really bad), nitrite about 4, and nitrate about 30. What is going on and what do we need to do? Someone please help us. And we dont have any fish in there right now.

Cyano eh? What kind of water are you guys using? Cyano feeds off from phosphate (found mostly in tap water). Some snails eat them, but they come off better when you suck them up from water changes.

Btw, I think you are good cycling wise. I assume you guys only have sand/rocks in it. Just add the live stuff in slowly.

Sounds like the LFS has low quality water, is your tap water clean, if so you should use an RO filter or if you don't want to pay for one, they can be expensive, you can use tap water with Prime. You said you have a cynobacteria problem, when red slime, as its also called, dies it releases toxins into the water, I don't know what exactly. This could contribute to your other problem. You should remove all the red slime you can and use a red slime remover, I used Chemiclean red slime remover and it killed it all off within two days. Hope this helps.

we are using RO water. we dont use tap water anymore because we think that had something to do with our tank crashing. do we need to suck the cyano off the rocks before we treat with chemiclean? also, can we go ahead and treat with chemiclean even if our cycle has not completed yet?

Yes you need to suck as much cyano as possible off of everything and it's probably a good idea to wait until the cycle has completed. It looks like the cycle is almost completed.

Back
Top Bottom