(Re)Starting a newly purchased 29G cube - Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AREAGANO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I recently purchased a used 29g oceanic biocube because I am eager to get back into the hobby (I have kept a number of different tanks throughout the years with varying results). This time I wanted an AIO for my office. I saw what looked like a killer deal on the local FB aquarium group and made a quick (rash) purchase. Anyway I got ripped off a bit but the damage is done and the money is gone so no sense in dwelling on that. I purchased the set up on 8/19/17 and this is the picture of the tank when I picked it up.https://ibb.co/cVSmzF

Plans for the tank is something easy to maintain. Clown (I actually have one I picked to save at the lfs), wrasse, eventually a mandarin if I can source a captive bred one and I can have a reasonable shot to keep it alive, and maybe a small angel like flame or coral beauty. Corals would be just a BTA and some ZOAs.

That looks fine.

The Captive Bred Mandarins are best in a 40G. I just talked with a keeper of these guys from Algae Barn with that recommendation from him. They will still eat lots of pods.

Wrasse will outcompete the mandarin for food. I'd skip the mandarin and angel. To territorial for that small of a tank and get a bit to large. I'd say 40 breeder is a minimum size for a centropyge angel.

IMG_1290.jpg update, got a designer clown yesterday. Also added a current USA marine and I'm very happy that it fits so well with the hood on. Also got a small green star polyp because I couldn't resist getting at least SOME coral.

Ammonia levels on the API test kit have remained zero (will post the PDF) however on the API tests nitrates have showed 0 which puzzled me because I've been adding a few frozen brine shrimp to help with the cycle. Now, on a cheap dip test I'm showing ~40 on the nitrate levels. Not sure which is right or wrong. I'll probably just get redsea or seachem
To ensure accuracy going forward. I'm just hoping that is the only one showing an inaccuracy and ammonia levels truly have dropped.

Either way I figured it was fine for the first clown. The LFS sold her to me as a 'black ice' but I think she's a black snowflake (either way it was a deal at $60 imo). They will be sourcing me a small unsexed [male] to add to the tank.

I'm still open for ideas and suggestions for stocking. Like he OP said I really would love a small angel, eventually a mandarin (that is what I want most but I want it to survive obv). And maybe a dottyback or something. Thanks for the responses and help everyone.

You are going to need to stay on top of water changes since this is an uncycled tank. The ammonia will easily creep up and cause issues with a clownfish in there... Though clowns are very hardy, that doesn't change the fact that ammonia and nitrite levels burn gills and is very toxic.

I had a mandarin and it was a picky eater and over time starved, I would not recommend if you want to avoid early challenges. Cool fish though. The wrasse is an eating machine quick as lightning and grow very large. Tank us to small for wrasse, they need swimming room.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My wrasse was in a 44 g and that was too small, moved him to a 120 g.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Probably will stay away from wrasse at this point. was mostly just thinking of fish I used to keep successfully (in larger reefs obv) I think I will try to mate this clown with another designer. Keep some ZOAs and get something beautiful to swim around with them ( suggestions please) I was hoping it might not be too small to house a flame or coral beauty angel. All feedback is appreciated. I do want to get the clown a RBTA eventually but know the tank is extremely young for this atm. Thank you for your replies. My only concern right now is that I am staying on top of my levels and water changes ( I even have a pdf with levels and pictures taken every other day) but ive notice my nitrates on the API master kit show 0... even though ammonia has also dropped to 0. I do have some dip kits from API and another brand I don't recognize and they are showing around 40ppm.. I know this would be normal so I'm wondering why there is a discrepancy. The API master kit is a couple years old but I couldn't imagine it would have that big of an effect..

https://ibb.co/m66SRv

https://ibb.co/h6bu6v

https://ibb.co/m66SRv

any idea why API master kit is showing 0 nitrates (ammonia is low (about 0) but API dips and another brand of dips show 40+???? I know this would be normal right now but I'm concerned that maybe the test kit has expired or something and the lower ammonia ratings could be false also...

test kits go bad like everything once open I give it aprox a year once air hits the chemicals the clock starts ,
anything over that throw it away . constant exposure to light or heat will make them go bad even faster, I keep all chemicals in a dark cool closet to help extend its shelf life

So the cycle has been going fine I suppose. Nitrates haven't really jumped over 40 ammonia and nitrites are immeasurable. I've had a diatom bloom that has essentially gotten cleared up except on one rock. Now I am having the remnants of that bloom, hair algae, and I've noticed some cyano showing up on a couple rocks. Should I be doing anything out of the ordinary? I'm going to do another water change (I've been staying up on them and keeping my skimmer running) I've been using one of the current usa present programs (M2 if anyone is familiar) Should I get a clean-up crew when I hit the lfs today for water? If so what should I get??

https://ibb.co/ek8ZeQ

ek8ZeQ

Back
Top Bottom