Reading up on SW Tanks.. Debating if I want to try it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading various info here regarding SW tanks..

Currently I have a 40g Cichlid tank, but I recently received a 50g tank (30Lx18Wx21D) I was thinking of using it for my Cichlids but I might get a 55g (48L) for that.

For some reason if I was to set-up the 50g for SW that the shape of this tank made more sense, but I could be wrong, either way if I don't get the 55g then the Cichlids stay in their 40g.

So here are some of my questions about what hardware I need. I am thinking this tank will be FO or FOWLR which ever of the two are easier for a Beginner with SW.

Along with the Tank I have a 300W heater and a Fluval 405 (both New). from reading it seem like I need a Skimmer (which one?) and I still don't understand power heads completely. Do I need a power head? if so which one? the tank is missing a hood and has a Standard light, I believe this tank had FW fish in it before I got it, what is the best way to clean it?

As for a goal (if I do SW) being a newbie to SW, I don't know what the fish types are with exception of a few. I would probably like a Clown Fish (Nemo, lol) then maybe something Yellow and another Blue.

Not sure what I could stock in a 50 gal, so I would be open to suggestions.

Keep in mind this is still int he thought stage, may or may not happen, But I always thought that SW tanks had a 'cool' look to them

I would definately do Live Rock. It'll make up for most of your biological filtration. Which leaves you with a little less to worry about. That being said, a powerhead is important to get that water moving so there aren't any deadspots in your tank. It'll keep all the water moving giving the benificial bacteria a chance to filter more of your water. If it's FOWLR, and not fully stocked, I'd skip out on the skimmer for now. Frequent PWCs will be more than enough.

I'd still suggest investing in T5 HO lighting. Corals are hard to resist the deeper you get into this hobby, and that lighting will open up alot of options. Plus they bring out the colors of your tank and inhabitants really well. But for now, a standard light will work. Also, while you're cycling, you don't even need a light. No light=no algae.

Some clean their tanks with dilluted vinegar or bleach. Soap tends to leave residue so I'd avoid using it. Either way you go about cleaning it, make sure it's rinsed well.

Vinegar and water are the best way IMO bleach can be a pain to get rid of where the vinegar will just mess with the ph for a short time
I agree with Sergie go with T5's it wont be long before you come with some kind of coral :) my tank was FOWLR for a month now there's half dozen mushrooms, a fist full of Zoa's and a bunch of SPS and this ones only 8 months old :facepalm:

Oh it's a 90g with no skimmer and five small fish I do a 10g PWC once a week my trAtes run around 5ppm.
PS the shape will lend it's self to Rockscaping quite nicely

Thanks All for the comments so far

PS the shape will lend it's self to Rockscaping quite nicely

I am guessing you are referring to my tank size? that was what I thought too

More Questions:

What do you suggest for a powerhead (or heads)?

Is a powerhead just a inlet and outlet with no filtration?

If I end up needing a Skimmer any suggestions?

I would rather know that I will need to spend X amount on it then being shocked sometime down the road.

lastly, how much rock total? I figure by reading base Rock then Live rock makes sense.. How about the Substrate? can I use PFS?

yes tank your size, as for PH's heres what i use the one linked are a good size for your 50g id go with 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Power Head - NIB | eBay Yes PFS 50lbs will work good You'll want 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon 50-75lbs id start with 50 dry and the add 5-10 live rock. http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34 Skimmers reef octopus have good ratings heres a link to fish and inverts Salt Water Fish | Marine Life | Tropical Fish | Reef Fish & Salt Water Tank Fish

If you bleach a tank, just rinse it out with hot water and vinegar. Vinegar will neutralize the bleach. Then set it out in the sun for completed cleaning.

Do you want/ have room for a sump? If so... just drill your tank now before you start. Tank has to be empty to do it and then you have to clean it out to get the drilled glass out. Having a sump is nice since you can hide your skimmer and heater or anything really. a 20L will be a great size tank for sump.

Powerhead is just a fan underwater pretty much.

50lbs of sand and 50lbs of rock - IMO do 30-40lbs of dry rock from marco rocks and get some good live rock from a local reefer. These live rocks will seed the dry and make it live. This will save you ALOT of money and there isnt really anything bad about it. Well if you get some bad hitchhikers then it would...but thats another topic.

not sure I want to sump the tank I have. it is a used Oceanic 50g. and is glass, all I need is for it to shatter while drilling.. I think I would do the Canister, with the power heads and Skimmer on the back if needed. Like I said, looking to see cost.. still debating on if I want to go Salt or not. I need to get the 55g too, before I do anything, then I need to build stands

Canister with some Phosban, chemiElite, and maybe carbon in it and take the sponges out (they are nitrate farms). Will be ok. Just planning for a fish only tank you really wouldnt need a skimmer really. Ideally eventually yeah it would be a good idea to get one down the road but at the start no need. Just keep up with water changes in all.

Thanks

looks like ~$60 for the 2 suggested powerheads
~$110 for Base Rock
~$?? for Live Rock
~$5 for PFS

then a Light at some point ( better then the one I have)

Back
Top Bottom