Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Ready for fish?

Ok here is what i have. I have a 65 gallon tank with 40 pounds of live rock. I have 5 domino damsels to help with cycling. The tank has been running for 6 weeks. The fish have been in there for 2 weeks and they are doing great. I would like to get a yello tang. Can i do this yet. Also i want ot get some pepermint shrimp and some crabs. And maybe a strfish. Can i do any of this yet? My readings are perfect on the water.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Ready for fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndfrb
I would like to get a yello tang. Can i do this yet.
Tangs are not really recommended for newer tanks or smaller ones unless at least 48" in length. I would suggest waiting a few more months at least to allow the system to mature and stabalize first. You may also want to consider removing some of those damsels for LFS store credit. They can be very aggressive and territorial as well as limiting available tank space.

Quote:
Also i want ot get some pepermint shrimp and some crabs. And maybe a strfish. Can i do any of this yet? My readings are perfect on the water.
Could you actually post the readings unless all are 0.0?
Starfish and other sensitive inverts would be best left for a few months as well for the same reasons as above. Crabs and snails however added a few at a time might be a better idea. Be careful if you do eventually get a star and the type. Many do not do well unless in established systems as there is not really enough of a natural food source for them. Also be sure to drip >>acclimate<< them for several hours as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-19-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
so can i get any fish or should i wait on anything
Old 08-20-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
steve-s

Since you have only just added the damsels two weeks ago, I would honestly wait to allow the tank time to adjust the bacteria needed to accomidate the recent additions. In a few more weeks if there are no problems (tough wood) then you can look into another possible fish addition. I would recommend you look into setting up the proper >>QT<< which will prevent introducing parasites or other problems as well.

If the NH3 & NO2 levels are zero and stable and the NO3 levels are acceptable, you could look into the addition of a good mix of snails to help keep the tank clean.

Keeping the domino's then?

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com