Ready for LR - questions about lighting, skimmer, curing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

I"m planning on getting 40#s of LR and had some questions:

1) Since my tank seems to be in the middle of cycling, is it the collective wisdom to fully cure the LR inside my main tank or do it seperately in a plastic bin?

2) I have 2 single 32W all glass regluar flruorescent bulbs. I take it these are not powerful enough for the LR? Could I retrofit these hoods for VHO tubes or should they be scrapped. If scrapped any recommendations on brands and wattages? I only want a FOWLR (NO reef!)

3) Skimmers - I take it the collective on this is skimmers are must haves? If so, a recommendatin for my 120 tank on a skimmer that would fit in my Prolear 200 sump?

Thanks again for all your help.

BTW, if anyone has any questions on homebrewing or buying great Microbeer, I would be happy to pay back on some of your advice ;)

Mike
Cherry Hill NJ

Re: Ready for LR - questions about lighting, skimmer, curing

spinman said:
1) Since my tank seems to be in the middle of cycling, is it the collective wisdom to fully cure the LR inside my main tank or do it seperately in a plastic bin?
If your tank is still cycling, add it directly to the tank. It's much less mess and hassle. It will help strengthen the cycle process and possible cut down on the timeframe some if partially or precured before you get it.

2) I have 2 single 32W all glass regluar flruorescent bulbs. I take it these are not powerful enough for the LR? Could I retrofit these hoods for VHO tubes or should they be scrapped. If scrapped any recommendations on brands and wattages? I only want a FOWLR (NO reef!)
2x32 w on a 120 gal tank is definately not enough. If the hood covers the length of the tank you can easily DIY some VHO in there. You will need to replace the end caps and the ballasts as well. If just FOWLR, you can easily get away with 2x140w (60"), I would suggest 4x140w just incase the coral bug bites but for simple coralline growth and viewing, only the 2x140 is really needed.

3)Skimmers - I take it the collective on this is skimmers are must haves? If so, a recommendatin for my 120 tank on a skimmer that would fit in my Prolear 200 sump?
I would look at either an AquaC EV400 or possiblely a Euroreef CS8, the Aquamedic Turbofloter multi's aren't bad either. Whatever you choose do not abide by the manufactures recommendation for tank size. Always double it depending on pump velocity recommended and quality of construction.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again Steve,

Not sure what you mean by 2X140 (60") VHO.

My tank is 48" long and the(2) sngle canopies are also 48" long. Si I guess I would retrofit these with 48" VHOs?

Can you point me on where i might get the retrofit kits?

Also, someone (maybe you?) advised on upping my flow with powerheads. Do i nderstand correctly that these things just attach to the inside of the tank and force water around? If so, I'm wondering why my LFS set my up with my Iwaki MD20. He asid he didn't want my flow or current to be too much. It seems like now i have to augment this pump with more flow.

Thx again

Mike

2x140 (60") means 2 140watt bulbs, which would be 60" long. Steve just assumed you had a standard 120gallon, which would be 72" long.

Is your tank extra tall? If so, that will require more lighting as you lose intensity with every inch of depth.

Powerheads suction to the side of the tank, or sometimes have hanging brackets that slip over the lip of the tank. Minimum flow for a SW tank is 10 x turnover per hour, or in your case 1,200gph. Many recommend a reef tank have 20 x turnover.

I did actually assume incrrectly. I was thinking a 125 gal 60x18x24 which in either case was incorrect.

The extra depth/width would normally complicate things a bit but if your 100% sure this will remain at most an FOWLR, then I would suggest either a <<4x110w VHO>> (cost does not include bulbs or extra ballast), <<4x96w PC>> or even a <<T5HO retro>> (6% discount for AA members). Just be mindful you are sure on the type of tank. With the width and depth of your tank, many types of coral species would mean needing more light, preferabley MH. It's not a cheap venture from the start so don't do it twice.

Normally a two bulb set up would be kinda sufficient on a shallower tank but with the extra width, I don't think you'll be happy with the look. Lower area's and towards the outer edges will be quite dim. If there are any members that do have a two bulb set up that could post a pic, mabye that would help make up your mind. At least you will have some options.

A two bulb retro would still sustain the coralline to a degree, I just don't think the visual appeal of the tank will be as good. Something you will have to decide on either way.

Cheers
Steve

I have a similar tank mine is the 60x18x24. I have 6x32 watt florescent on my FOWLR. Short on funds so I bought 3 shop lights from home depot for $7 each. coralline is growing fine. I most agree more light is better.

I have tried micro brewing. My buddy bought me a Mr. Beer and I did the whole process. It took like 3-4 weeks. I thought it was great but my friends wouldn't agree. I have been kind of interested in getting some gear to do it myself. It's a really cool and interesting process. They have mail order clubs that will sned you the ingredients to a different brew every month.

Definitly not enough light. Is your tank 48" ? Just get a twin strip 48" throw in a 10K and an actinic and call it a day. You can probably pick up a fixture on ebay cheap.

Update on equipment

All,

FWIW, here's my latest acquisitions for my 120 FOWLR.

Lights - (2) Coralife aqualights 4X65w (520w total)

Skimmer - Amiracle Quad II w/ Rio 2100

Powerheads - (2) Rio 600s

RO - Kent CTA 10 clear

LR - 50#s Walt Smith Fiji premium (to be delivered)

I'm fortunate to have a local web biz (seatrademarine.com) whose owner (Bernie) was kind enough to come over my house and set up my skimmer and lights. His prices seem very reasonable. And lucky for me I pay no shipping charge :)

Thanks again, and your comments are welcome.

Mike
Cherry Hill NJ

Back
Top Bottom