Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I've seen chromis come from a supplier which where all problemmatic. Just that once, but I agreee, they are very hardy generally. Heck, before I knwe better, I used 2 to cycle my 20g QT tank. Those two, plus another are still in my main 18 months later. Can do clowns also.

Oh yes, I'm a huge fan of the midas blenny. See my profile for my 75g community.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks austinsdad. Midas blenny does look good. Now I'm starting to question my other choices. Are the benggai cardinals truly nocturnal? I just read in one description of them that they tend to hide in caves during the day. I'm a totally day-person myself! Will this fish only be around when I'm in bed?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Never had cardinals. Just that they seem to just sit there, suspended in the water. I prefer swimmers.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

My PJ cardinals are also largely nocturnal, but don't tell them that. They seem to forget and they hang out in the tank during evening hours. I think they've shifted their schedule because of feeding time being in the evening. They're not out much early in the day, but then in my tank nobody is. When I first got them I hated that hover effect, but now I really like it. It helps that they're getting huge too, lol. There's a picture of my "pair" in my gallery.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Phyl, you've got some beautiful pictures there! Love the one of the cardinals! How big are they now, and how big did they start out? Everyone says cardinals are best in pairs. Is is possible for a pajama and a bangaii to get along? I don't think I'll have room for a pair of each kind, and I really can't decide!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya leave out the wrasse...and the angels.. !
i had a Bengaii cardinal once and he was a nightmare to feed...very fussy !
chromis r better in packs of 4 and above(which is a HUGE bioload for a new tank)
Royal Gramma...easy
Clowns...easy (percs)
IMO blennies need established too
maybe try a hawkfish ?
couple of gobies ?
Deffo a yellow tang....My yellow tang is the best fish in the world (he called Bob)
there is loads to choose from
Take your time )
and have fun

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com