Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Ready for Trigger?

Ok, my tank has been setup since 9/10/03, a little over a month. The latest readings are ammonia=0, ph=8.2, nitrite=0, nitrate 10-20. Do you think this is safe for my first trigger? I want to put in a black or huma-huma or maybe one of each at the same time. Right now there is just a damsel in there. I want to add live rock soon also. Should I add the live rock first or can I add it later after the triggers?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
First off, the tank will be fine as long as you don't plan on putting any smaller, less aggressive fish later. Is so, triggers should be the last addition. But, if it is only gonna be aggessive, large fish, you should be ok. Triggers are hardy fish. Just expect an ammonia spike, because of the messy eating habits of triggers.

Also, are there any kind of hiding places in the tank? Triggers generally appreciate somewhere to hide while first adjusting to their new enviroment, so if LR is in the plan, you may wanna go ahead and get it first, especially since it will most likely be uncured, which will cause another spike in ammonia. Not happy for fishies.

Also, what are you using as bio-filtration? Two triggers could be quite a shock on a system if it doesn't have a way to handle waste and such. Two may be too much at one time, so I would probobly do one at a time.

HTH

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
I have an XP2 cannister filter with bioballs in one of the chambers. I also have two powerheads, a maxijet and a zoomed (which I have read some bad reviews about, but its still rotating) for water movement/circulation. btw, i used to have triggers in my old tank a while back and I used to feed them goldfish, is this bad? They used to tear them to shreds!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Goldfish don't provide proper nutrition for SW fish. If you like live feeders, then ghost shrimp are a good way to entice fish to eat, but with triggers, I imagine they will eat anything.

When thinking of live feeders, think is it something they would eat in the wild. If not, then it is probobly not the right nutritional values.

Old 10-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would definitely add live rock first, especially if you plan on putting two triggers in the same tank, other than that I tank is ready for the triggers. Imo, you can add them first just make sure when you add another fish (whether it be another trigger or something else) that you rearrange the rocks. This will allow for all the fish to establish their own territories.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size of tank are you putting them in?
i know what you mean about the triggers killing the gold fish, buit i would try too feed them other foods.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

50 gal. I read that you should not feed them goldfishes, so I'm not going to feed them those, not too much anyway, maybe once or twice. I am going to try to get them the right nutrition.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a medium/large black trigger. i went to red lobster got some small salad shrimp and he loved it! not to mention you can freeze it and its cheaper.

have fun
Old 10-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are pigs, they will eat anything . Thats why I love 'em!

Tags
trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com