Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, it should. Can you change the location of the heater so that it is fully covered?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to dinotrex
yea, if I don't get more saltwater today, I could just lower my heater to the point where the water will cover it entirely. Should I still be putting in a cocktail shrimp to let it cycle and let the liverock feed off of the shrimp? Also, after I fill the tank with water, is there any chemical I should be putting in it? or just let it flow for a few days and then test the nitrate, nitrite and amonnia? Also, When I put in the livesand, I noticed some stuff floating around in there, something like debris washed up from the ocean thats just floating around mixed in the the LS, how will a LR pick stuff like that up?

Old 03-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #23
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinotrex
Should I still be putting in a cocktail shrimp to let it cycle and let the liverock feed off of the shrimp?
No need for the shrimp unless this rock was well cured before you got it. If there is an abundance of life, there will also be die off so no shrimp needed if uncured. Be sure you have extra SW for water changes if using uncured rock. You will need to keep the ammonia to a minimum if you want to save as much life as possible. If using well cured LR, drop in the raw shrimp and let it go.

Quote:
Also, after I fill the tank with water, is there any chemical I should be putting in it? or just let it flow for a few days and then test the nitrate, nitrite and amonnia? Also, When I put in the livesand, I noticed some stuff floating around in there, something like debris washed up from the ocean thats just floating around mixed in the the LS, how will a LR pick stuff like that up?
No need to worry about any chems until well after the tank has cycled and even then water changes will be the best route over more than likely unneeded additions. The debris you are noticing is normal for dry sand. Once it floats to the top just use a net a scoop out the larger pieces to avoid damaging pumps and such. The small stuff is of no concern.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com