Ready to take the plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyFresh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently saw a friend of mines saltwater tank. Got me very interested. I been doing some research and I am considering getting started. I went to a pet shop near by that has good reputation in the area. After looking around the salesmen came up and suggested starting with the 55 gal aqueon aquarium deluxe kit. He said it would be good to start with. All id need is gravel. He also said if I wanted to do coral id have to upgrade the lighting.

My goal is to get the tank set up. Get the levels right Add some live rock with 1 type of fish untill I get a handle on maintaining my tank.

Anyone have an opinion on that starter kit. Some good tips. Or fish that would be good to start with?

Nice fine sand. NO gravel. Winds up becoming a nitrate factory. Rigidity and shapes allow for fish food and detritus to accumulate between the spaces, and therefore your clean up crew can't get into those spaces between the gravel to get to the detritus to clean it/eat it. Trust me, you don't want gravel. Just sand. Also, gravel could mean crushed coral. Don't use that either.

Also look into what you want to do with the tank and what you want to put in it,for instance a 55 is too small for any tangs apart from maybe a kole,a 55g is a nice tank too start with but i bet in 6 months you will have wished you went bigger!!!

Good luck
David

Back
Top Bottom